VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Due to be waxoyling my van this coming weekend if the weather holds. Was just wondering if there are any places that shouldn't be coated apart from the obvious, exhaust, headlights, windows etc LOL:
Do I go as far as to spray the inside of the trailing arms through the tiny oval holes? Is there anything under the belly pan thats worth doing or is the belly pan protection enough? How wide a berth do I give the exhaust as I beleive the stuff is flamable? Whats the best way of getting all those chunks of soil off as I dont have a presure washer? Is it ok to have a bit of crud still on the van? Ive got all the stuff & am prepared for the inevitable mess.

Cheers,

Warren

·
Registered
12 Posts
i bought the gun off ebay a shutz gun i think they are called ,and refilled it from a can , i worked it from a compressor and what a difference in comparison to the hand pump one , i used the long tube supplied and it went any were i could poke it , its well worth setting it all up to do and waiting for a really hot day after say miday after it has been parked in direct sun , i used two liters on mine and i could have this tube in one end of a box section underneath and see it coming out off every little hole all the way down , i think its great stuff well worth the effort .

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one. Cheers for that mark.
Its always good to get the gen from someone who has done the job already. It looks like its gona be a hot messy job but one your glad you've done come winter. I'll try to borrow a compressor if the Waxoyl one is pants & get probin around.
Ta again,

Warren

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also used a Shutz gun on the compressor, I found that when I used the extension tube the spray battern was poor due to pressure drop over the length of the extension so I removed the diefuser in the end of the pipe and wot a difference. I think I pretty much sprayed it every where, paid particular attention to the void between inner and outer wings using the drain holes at either end of the scuttle for access.
Andy.
:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Did mine last year, took all door panels off and raised van on blocks to get underneath.

Thin the waxoil down with reccommended thinner, goes on better, leave tin in sun all morning and start mid day, sloppyer the better to help it run into those small areas.

Gave the underneath of van a good clean using hose pipe on full blast as l also did not have a power washer and brushed those awkward muddy bits off.

Poked around every hole and gap with spray pipe, painted on when needing to cover large areas, messy as hell and smells for a week or 2.

Wear overalls and protective glasses, as it goes everywhere.

You can see the waxoil dripping out of hole and gapes when doin job, it is good to do, keep van protected.LOL:

2 tins should do, try to get a good pump as suggested as the waxoil one is poor and takes ages.

Good luck:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
just a quick thought if you put plastic sheet down when you spray it on be very gareful when you tred on it as its like walking on ice

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the top tips people A: Cant say Im lookin forward to it but it will be a good job done.
Cheers,
Warren

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

Just noticed what I think is the front anti roll bar (could be wrong) going left to right just in front of the exhaust downpipe. Its only a couple of inches off the exhaust & is quite rusty on surface. Is it wise to use waxoyl on it with it being so close or is it better to use some kind of heat resistant hammerite to protect it?

Cheers,

Warren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts