Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Vwt4forum.co.uk will be migrated to our new platform on Thursday, December 5th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Xenforo is an entire platform and system, still forums in a way but also social media oriented, proper styling should scale from a phone to a widescreen seamlessly.

Vbulletin doesnt, and vbulletin is dying and falling behind in support and development.

Frankly it can only be a good thing ive never liked vbulletin much.

Try the demos etc.

https://xenforo.com/

As for migrations across platforms, hm, well lets just see how well that works lol.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds like a change towards the mobile-phone obsession of internet access :(
That is what Tapatalk did when destroying (quite literally) thousand and thousands (again literally) forums.

Sounds a wonderful move. Not :(
A previous forum I was on moved onto Tapatalk and although a lot of us were paying members, we were prompted to pay again to use the Tapatalk app. :eek:

As you say, it pretty much reduced a thriving forum to a shell.

Hopefully this won't be the same.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
A previous forum I was on moved onto Tapatalk and although a lot of us were paying members, we were prompted to pay again to use the Tapatalk app. :eek:

As you say, it pretty much reduced a thriving forum to a shell.

Hopefully this won't be the same.
In the end, I essentially had to shut down the forum I ran after Tapatalk took over the perfectly fine hosting. I restarted it on another platform but lost hundreds and hundreds of members while Tapatalk were killing the experience with their 'improvements'.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Xenforo is an entire platform and system, still forums in a way but also social media oriented, proper styling should scale from a phone to a widescreen seamlessly.
Hmm....I am dubious. On the other forum I use that is “run” by Verticalscope: in landscape presentation, the right hand third of the screen is reserved for content other than the topic (initially, it was even more). The effect of this is that the data presented is LARGER in portrait than landscape. Effectively scaling down size text and pictures for landscape viewers.

Also, the threads are peppered with targeted advertising that analyses the thread content and inserts fake “advertising posts”. Easy to confuse these for part of the thread narrative.

If people are accustomed to reading through their curtains, I am sure they will adapt. I find it a pain, as you are forever scrolling and squinting.

The only positive I can see is that it would reduce arguments, as the protagonists would likely give up due to having to trawl through all the cr4p.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
In the end, I essentially had to shut down the forum I ran after Tapatalk took over the perfectly fine hosting. I restarted it on another platform but lost hundreds and hundreds of members while Tapatalk were killing the experience with their 'improvements'.
A lot of our members just started up regional groups on facebook, I believe the forum is still going but nothing like it used to be, which is a shame.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,083 Posts
A lot of our members just started up regional groups on facebook, I believe the forum is still going but nothing like it used to be, which is a shame.
And Facebook Groups as a replacement for a Forum is not great either. virtually impossible to use to see older posts to take advantage of the shared knowledge of the Membership.

On the Tapatalk front, of the forums I used and got migrated to Tapatalk, I cannot recall a single one where the members liked the changes. (and on the Tapatalk support forum for site owners, Tapatalk actually used to ban people if they made any complaints!)

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
And Facebook Groups as a replacement for a Forum is not great either. virtually impossible to use to see older posts to take advantage of the shared knowledge of the Membership.

On the Tapatalk front, of the forums I used and got migrated to Tapatalk, I cannot recall a single one where the members liked the changes. (and on the Tapatalk support forum for site owners, Tapatalk actually used to ban people if they made any complaints!)
Yeah very true, I never joined the FB groups until recently but rarely actually use it as it's rubbish in comparison to a good forum.

Just hope this isn't what the future holds for this place :(

On a side note, I keep getting messages saying "unsafe website", just started since reading this thread actually.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Social media grouping is for the masses with the attention span of a bluebottle fly tbh. hopefully its not that transitional.

The basic issue is VB is dead/dying, it costs too much and its becoming a maintenance and security nightmare, Im not a fan of VS either, but its about time they did something about it, and a platform shift is suprisingly proactive so all in all it cant be worse than staying as it is.

Well, taking into account the VS track record hopefully it cant be worse. :*

Migrations on this scale though, itll be refreshing not to mention suprising if that goes off without major issues and delays. However if theyre open and honest about transitional delays in the likely event it shouldnt harm the regular user base too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.