VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been deliberating for way too long over load rated, banded etc.

So, phoned a very prominent online alloy dealer (lovely website); "yeah mate, they'll fit" .....very pushy, pushing all the way for card sale over the phone and I do mean pushy.

"Can you confirm the load rating to min 750 a corner" I asked. Bear in mind I had gone through all the web page selection drop downs by this stage :eek:

30mins later, a call came in................................"erm, no, they are for car use only" LOL: LOL:

How close was that to loosing £800 :eek:

There are profanities that I choose not to type, describing this individual I:

:ILU:

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crazy really, I mean if the worse came to the worst, then that'd be his business out of the picture after the legal fees Rasp:

Scary world.

........starts savings pot for Si's steelies ;)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
But once chopped and banded What are they rated at then

Persnoaly I don't believe I would be buying steelies from someone who ain't got the testing done once welding

So you buy set of Steelers of anyone you have accident have they been tested can the supplier prove been tested as the company got correct insurance in place or even actually registered at company house

Think I will stick with proper made wheels by the Germans. Until set of tested banded steels come avalible

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
They aint load rated as you have changed the struture of the wheel by cutting them....

but the steel grade and thickness etc that goes into the wheel is the same....

as far as our wheels go,the welding process is done by a coded welder of a high standard fabricating and making stuff for airplanes,so happy to put trust in him....

About 150 sets in,so 600 hundred single wheels over a good few years now with no probs etc when the correct steel etc is used,so happy with that...

Agree though that not using the correct steels to start,can cause probs with the wheels and lead to fatigue and stress cracks,but this down to the lower steel grade of some steels and heat and weak of the welding process..

Only wanted to put a point across and want sit here saying they are tested,as they aint....but i would say from the small number of high quality banders out there,the amount of wheels speak for themselves...

Would totaly say though that there is also some very poor stuff out there,which aint good when playing with heavy van and high speeds...

Everyone will never agree,but safety etc is formost with anything i sale,cant speak for others,hence the reason i sale as a package,so i no what van etc,tyres they will be fitted too..

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
But once chopped and banded What are they rated at then

Persnoaly I don't believe I would be buying steelies from someone who ain't got the testing done once welding

So you buy set of Steelers of anyone you have accident have they been tested can the supplier prove been tested as the company got correct insurance in place or even actually registered at company house

Think I will stick with proper made wheels by the Germans. Until set of tested banded steels come avalible
Would also say mate that a small number of the more well known banding companies,are all genuine business's,with ins etc...

Cant speak for others...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Crazy really, I mean if the worse came to the worst, then that'd be his business out of the picture after the legal fees Rasp:

Scary world.

........starts savings pot for Si's steelies ;)
You would , of course , need written confirmation from the supplier that they are suitable for your model of vehicle , to get any recompense from the supplier , otherwise , the legal responsibility rests upon you , solely , in the event of the worst happening . if you fit them . The same applies to tyres purchased over the internet . There are far too many loopholes , and , it has to be emphasised , far too many folk buying over the internet , without giving the correct information to remain safe , not just on T4,s .... but in many other areas , as well . Too many do not ask the pertinent questions . Glad you did ..!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was speaking to a joiner about his wheels on his t4 and he said the bloke said they where right fit for a t4!
Well he would wouldn't he
Anything that's 5x112 is right but will it take the weight!
I'll stick to my steels!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts