VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 174 shuttle with a webasto diesel heater that helps warm up on cold mornings. I believe you can get a wiring and vent kit to convert the heater to a parking heater. Has anyone done this please? I enquired at a webasto dealership some time ago, and from memory, it was very expensive. Any thoughts or other options much appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neneben. I called them, and understand that the heater I have is a Webasto water heater rather than one I had in my last T4, which was an Eberspacher air blower system. It looks good - thanks again. Cheers, Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
hi
a bit more info' for you!

yes is it something that can be done. the bits are all available from Webasto Germany via UK dealership with a 2-3wk lead time, the basic kit starts at RRP cica £450 - this is for a wiring harness and time clock, installation is extra and they'll be a few bits of pipe etc. additional (say £50), it roghly a days work for a kit like this (assuming the heater you have a VW OEM thermotop "C" (NOT "V") alraedy fitted to your vehicle).

There are also complete heater kits available for after market installation tailered for the T5, and different controllers too all at extra cost! There are kits on ebay from Germany but they don't tell whats not included and be expensive to coplete the kit.

This will enable you set a timer to pre-heat the engine and cab. You can also use when parked, to heat the vehicle whilst stationary via the VW blower units, the max time is dependant on battery condition usually quoted 60mins, or if you have a leisure battery this can be extended.

With a bit of thought and knowhow you can arrange the system to be both an engine pre-heater/supplemantary heater and switched for a campervan heater (which can be arranged to provide you with instant hot water too).

I thinks it's probably obvious by now that this is something I can do!!

Hope this helps:)

Andy

·
Registered
558 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion? I would he interested to hear how easy it is to DIY and if it works well as a night heater. I have a webasto heater in my shuttle but not sure what model it is or how it works. I've been toying with the idea of getting an eberspacher but when they're so expensive and with me being a fair weather surfer (not been since early Nov) I find it hard to convince myself its worth the cost. but, if this mod works out cheaper and works well I will definitely consider it.
Does anyone know what model webasto I need for it to work?

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
hi(eye)Captain!
like you say it; depends on what type of heater you have fitted to your van, if it's a wet supplementary (ie one that is used while driving to help heat the vehicle interior), it can be upgraded to provide campervan heating & hot water. I have this system and it provides plenty of hot water for a 'beach type' shower. The heating is provided via the van screen vents and an additional blower, pretty affective too (turned it off during the night when it was -5!!;))

If you have a parking heater already. it's my understanding is that you will need to upgrade the Webasto ECU inorder for it to carryout the function you want, this'll be £316 + VAT for the ECU alone!

The basic kit from Webasto is listed at £147.47 + VAT plus controller (£100 + VAT). This basic kit gives you 1hrs work of cab heating, with an upgraded timer you can have permanent rear heating, but, i would advise adding a leisure battery too! as a rule of thumb webasto say ihr of driving for 1hr of parked heat assuming you have a good vehicle battery - persoanally I wouldn't risk it!

The actual kit isn't too complicated, but, connecting to the van wiring correctly could be a bit taxing, I dare say who ever you bought the kit off (ie webasto dealer) would be able to help!

It is crucial to get the right kit otherwise it will end up costing you!

Andy:ILU:

·
Registered
558 Posts
so i found my sticker and mine is a thermo top c. So i'm going to do some googling and see what I can find out, mainly on how is works! Looks like there is lots of info on youtube too.
The basic kit you mentioned from webasto, do you have a link for it? Is that one suitable for my type of heater? What type of webasto is it that you have? If I wanted to get under the van to find it where would you suggest I lie down with my tools?!
Thanks for your help by the way Andy.T:

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
i'm pretty sure it will be suitable, but, always best to check. sorry I'm unable to provide you any other info', this will have to be via a dealership or the web as i do not believe webasto publish this information for general issue.

I'm also not sure where your heater is either! you'll probably find it under the van, below the passenger seat, just forward of the fuel tank, you'll have to remove the the belly pan. good luckT:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts