VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wondering which would be the best to fit. Plus are they worth having one fitted
I intend having a caravelle triple seat in my van for occasional sleeping in and using my van all year round
Thx in advance
Forgive spelling

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ive got an Eberspacher in mine. Its one of the best additions ive made- glad ive got it even on the cool summer mornings to warm up before i get out of bed, and its great coming back to a toasty van after having a surf whilst cold enough to have snow lying on the ground. Its warmed up inside to about 25deg while its been 2deg outside:ILU:

From what ive read before, both makes are the same, just different badges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got an Eberspacher in mine. Its one of the best additions ive made- glad ive got it even on the cool summer mornings to warm up before i get out of bed, and its great coming back to a toasty van after having a surf whilst cold enough to have snow lying on the ground. Its warmed up inside to about 25deg while its been 2deg outside:ILU:

From what ive read before, both makes are the same, just different badges.
Sold to the man that can t spell eberspatcher
I have decided to go and have it fitted
It goes in next week I have a kyham awning I use the kids sleep in the van and me and the mrs sleep in the tent
What's the deal with the fumes , or is it not an issue ?

·
Custom Vans
1,179 Posts
I couldn't advise you on how safe it would be to sleep in the awning with the heater running with regards to fumes, I would say the exhaust should be routed to the side of the van if fitted under the floor (drivers side) and this would be opposite the awning. IMHO you wouldn't get much sleep in the awning with the heater running due to the noise, I love my eberspacher but I wouldn't like to be in a tent next to me with it running. T:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
iv got a webasto......yet again one of the best things iv fitted.......toasty on a frosty morning.....but as previouse posts its abit noisy outside..........but hey im in the vanLOL:LOL:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm living in my van three nights a week whilst on contract down in bristol. So a heater has been essential (not that I fitted it before it was bleedin' freezing). I cashed in my 6 hot water bottles and 20 blankets for an Eberspacher D2 and a silk sheet! Sheer brilliance! Installation was a sinch and it is my favorite addition also (not copying everyone really!), make sure the fuel tank is empty when you start work though.

As for fumes and noise, I've been thinking the same thing with regards to camping in summer. The D2 can have quite a length of exhaust on it according to the manuals. My plan is both inlet and exhaust silencers and extra exhaust pipe to get it to the drivers side (I'm hoping convection will do the rest on the fumes). From Fleabay (turkey) should come in for £60 ish. Hopefully, this should reduce the noise down to the loud clicks from the angry pump! My plan for that is to wrap the pump assembly in cling film then in layers of cheapo-flashing to increase the mass and reduce the click.

If anybody has other ideas, get them up here! There must be pleanty of other solutions???

·
Registered
109 Posts
I fitted one of these its much quieter than the diesel night heater I had in my old van and gives me the option of using the electricity to heat the van when on hookup or gas while wild camping....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Easyrider - Where did you get your Eberspacher fitted? Noted you are in Sussex same as me :)
Sorry- forgot to reply earlier. I fitted it myself.T:

In reply about fumes. I also use a Kayam (driveaway) awning and havnt had any issues with fumes entering it. My eber exhaust terminates next to the middle silencer. It must be added though, i do have a carbon monoxide detector installed in the van just incase(mainly for the hob use). I must say too- diesel exhaust CAN kill-just the same as petrol can as it still contains carbon monoxide(just less of it).

Well worth fitting a silencer on the eber exhaust as it makes it much quieter.

Another tip- Its worth running the heater for 1/2 hour on max with parrafin as fuel as this pretty much fully de-cokes it and will run quieter and cleaner afterwards.:ILU:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts