VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Which option?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you will know i have had more than my fair share of engine problems recently and i have got to the stage of not knowing which way to turn. I cannot afford another labour bill after spending a fortune last time and i cant really go back to the garage to complain as they recommended that the head was tested before it was fitted. Due to time constraints testing the head was not an option.

So what to do from now? My options are; -

(1) Bite the bullet and get a brand new head, a workshop manual and fit it myself. (never done work as in depth as this before)

(2) Buy a Golf TDi and do the upgrade not knowing if the same engine wont do exactly the same thing a few miles down the road and weather i have the skills to do all the wiring involved with it. Is the upgrade really worth it anyway and why do it?

What is the general consensus from you lot? What would you do?

·
Registered
63 Posts
decisions, decisions, true rock and a hard place :bhd :bhd

Real sh:*tty end of the stick tis one.........other questions just to muddy the waters....... how good is the bottom end ?........if I do all this how long will the rest of it last?..... is it time to cut my losses, I'm sorry to raise these questions, I'm sure they have already been raised

can't really offer any mecanical advice as I've been a petrol head all my life, but I'm sure what ever you choose will be the right one for you. I think I would go for the new head only on the basis of fewer unknowns

keep the faith

Brian :)

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Get a new head! You know your engine was sweet until the bottom cheese bolt failed. And you know the replacement head you got had cracks. Get a new head and me you and who ever else we can find will sort it. Will be off the road for a bit but you can do it mate :ILU:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, just ordered a manual so i can get the torque settings and orders for fitting a new head and i'm going to strip off the front end tomorrow to make some space to work. I am confident the bottom end is spot on as it worked fine and didnt use any oil or smoke before the catastrophe, after all its only done 135k miles with a full service history.

You made it to bonnie scotland ok then Kieran, thanks for the help offer mate!

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi jimmy if you need some guidance or bit of help give us a bell 07799833298 spanner man myself and work on these alot, cheers matey.... hopefully will get mine on the road soon and can meet up, just need an 8 day week to happen at the momentLOL:LOL: T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi jimmy if you need some guidance or bit of help give us a bell 07799833298 spanner man myself and work on these alot, cheers matey.... hopefully will get mine on the road soon and can meet up, just need an 8 day week to happen at the momentLOL:LOL: T:
Thanks bud, i might just take you up on that. You haven't got a dial guage i could borrow have you? I dont think the pump has been set up properly from when it was rebuilt either.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i ordered the new head today and it should be here tomorrow for just under 400 notes all in (AW Engineering). Bearing in mind it is brand new i don't think that's at all bad considering. Hopefully the manual and the head will turn up tomorrow so i can get cracking (no pun intended) on it. Anyone around fancy giving me a hand? There will be some beers in it for you!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update for you all - the new head is on and its all up and running again, i even managed to sort out the pump timing so it starts, runs and pulls as it should. The AAZ pump was never timed and was so far retarded i'm amazed it ran at all. I also fitted one of Baxters boost pins and WOW what a difference!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts