VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning folks...welcome to the Trade Experience Forum.

This section is a place to share your experiences with traders and the ONLY area of the forum where Naming & Shaming will be tolerated.

Forum rules still apply here though so please think carefully and keep your stories to the facts as you know them to be.

This section has been created as a concession to the Naming & Shaming rule that the Forum has had in place for its entire history.
There are numerous reasons that Naming & Shaming has not been allowed on the Forum and they've been well documented in debate and argument over the years so I don't intend to spend a great deal of time going over them here.

But it is clear that from time to time it would be prudent to allow some experiences of negative trading to be publicised for the benefit of people who may be considering spending some of their hard-earned.

So.....

• This Forum is Private...it is not publicly searchable.
  • This Forum is for subscribed Forum Members Only - for viewing and posting purposes.
  • This Forum can be used to warn others of what you consider to be poor service in whatever way you deem necessary.

But.....

• Only post information that you KNOW to be true.
  • Do not post assumptions or sweeping generalisations.
  • Make sure that you can back up your claims.

Very often someone will deal with a company and be dissatisfied with the outcome. This does not necessarily mean they are in the right though. I:
Many firms work to the standard that "the customer is always right, even when they are wrong"...perhaps this raises expectations but sometimes customers ARE wrong so please be aware that you may look foolish amongst your peers should this later turn out to be the case - don't take it badly :D

We've created this section to give members with genuine grievances a place to air them for the benefit of others but we've had to make a decision as to how to ensure it's used correctly and does not risk harming the reputation of innocent parties.

Given that the "workaround" to the Naming & Shaming Rule has always been to "PM the OP" which means the information is shared privately, we have decided that a Private forum is the best possible compromise so this forum is not publicly searchable and therefore cannot be said to be at risk of harming firms who later turn out to be innocent.

Furthermore, to ensure that folk do not simply register with the sole intention of simply making an allegation which may be malicious this forum is only for the use of subscribed Forum Members...Registered Users and guests browsing from elsewhere can see its existence but not the contents...this further supports the premise that the forum should not be publicly searchable.

Finally, to ensure the section is used correctly and fairly it will be monitored and moderated where necessary. This could mean that your posts may be edited or deleted if they do not represent a balanced and considered view of the situation which is why we've asked you to only post in the way described above...please try and avoid allegations such as "Don't go to "X"...they're all a bunch of useless...." ...comments or allegations such as this are likely to be deleted I:

Lastly...there will be times when there are outcomes to allegations.

In the past we have allowed naming and shaming where an independent authority such as a Court or Trading Standards have found in favour of the plaintiff. When this occurs we ask that you amend the thread title to show such an outcome.

Sometimes though, an allegation will later turn out to be unfounded for some reason. This may become apparent in any number of ways, often by the responses on the thread making it clear that the expectations were unreasonable for instance. Should an allegation, on the balance of probabilities be found to be malicious, untrue, incorrect or unreasonable it may be deleted.

Hopefully it is clear that this section of the forum is for forum members to discuss genuine problems in a responsible way.
T:

Simon :) :ILU:

EDIT - perhaps too focused on the negatives in my explanation...this is also a forum where you can feel free to document positive experiences (they're not the threads we have trouble with :)

·
Bercow fan club
10,221 Posts
Excellent, and I for one am not going say about time because to do that would demonstrate little understanding of human nature..
This is a fabulous initiative and to be congratulated T:

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Excellent. I have been lucky (so far) and only had a superb from people / trades recommended by Forum members.
But forewarned is forearmed.
Post about your good experience with traders then T: this section is still supposed to be a balanced place :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea.T:A::D

(interesting legal clarification in the news today that tripadvisor could not be held liable for unverified hotel reviews posted on their site, and therefore could not be sued for defamation, which someone was trying:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/03/tripadvisor_reviews_vs_hotel_ruling/

"A reasonable person would not confuse a ranking system, which uses consumer reviews as its litmus, for an objective assertion of fact; the reasonable person, in other words, knows the difference between a statement that is 'inherently subjective' and one that is 'objectively verifiable'," Judge Philips said.

I'm so pleased about this, but totally agree this must be Positive experience as well as bad ones, its the only way to build an overall picture. 1 really bad review can then be weighed against 30 good ones, or vice versa!

Thanks for getting this going :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just found this - what a good idea!

I guess the acid test will be the first couple of negative reviews, how they are handled by those posting - and the responses, plus the moderation!

John R

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Very well put by 'go-ferret' and a great balance to accommodate those who feel the 'Naming and Shaming' ruling on the Forum was getting in the way of a fair airing of grievances they feel may be justified..A:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts