VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or fitted the t5/6 weller steels, any good or any issues?
They do widths up to 11”, deep dished.
Seem reasonable, quite like the idea??♂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought, they come in black only but easily sorted. Anyone seen or got them, or has any pics of them fitted?
Pleaaaaase?
?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Errrr, well I thought so?? been looking at 17” vw steels, and bear in mind you’d have to get em banded to achieve the width, they’d cost best part of a fair bit more wouldn’t they??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooh I quite like them in that pic, with the vow centre caps they look pretty Orem to me, without bandingT:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
They're not - they're the 1100+ quid 17" Wellers (that look exactly the same but cost nearly twice as much as banded 17s).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
🤠wish I hadn’t asked now, don’t fall out on my account chaps. I like the banded steels, just worries me that if someone totalled my van, and op’s insurers came to assess it, would they use the banded steels to refuse to pay out? My insurance asks tha I update with everything I change, even though they don’t charge me.
Anyway, that’s why I was looking at other options 🤷�♂�

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Badly made/welded banded steels I wouldnt trust, only from a reputable seller AND I would personally want a guaruntee of proper weld testing for my money. And I dont mean DPI or MPI testing either, I mean radiography!

I wouldnt likely buy s/h ones with much confidence either.

Thats not to say there arent proper people making proper wheels, but it does probably mean there are some gorilla poop weld chancers given what VW fanatics are willing to pay!

For the kind of money Weller want you could get much better options from the likes of Extreme Offset Wheels for example :

http://www.extremeoffsetwheels.com/

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'd be interested to see the evidence of that statement
And I don't have banded steels on my van.
Very much tongue in cheek. I've run banded steels for 3 years with no problems or hesitation in loading it up for a week's camping with wife, kids and dog in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That was my thought, they come in black only but easily sorted. Anyone seen or got them, or has any pics of them fitted?
Pleaaaaase?
?
Hi Yes, I have Weller deep steels fitted on my T5 Van 8.5 front and 9.5 on the rear. Just a note they come in gloss black, satin black and space grey and look the 'mutts nutts'. I went for the space grey, just for a change as my van has always had black alloys since I got it (BLACK ON BLACK) . But have always liked the look of banded steels! I have had some issues with Weller! The postage is free and 24hrs! - well it turned out to be 5 days - according to Weller, my fault, I didn't leave my mobile number! The next problem - damage on two wheels, only small but my point was they were packed damaged as the box they came in wasn't!! So far, not good, as you all know they ain't cheap. Anyway, next problem centre bore not quite right! - cleaned the hubs up with a wire brush and trial fitted one on the front looked great BUT struggled to get the wheel off again after a bit of brute force, dead blow hammer and a lump of wood slowly we got it off, after checking all the others all four wheels needed the center bore made slightly bigger (Wasn't just the paint, but metal needed to be taken away)! Luckily it was on the two post ramp at work (Yes I am in the motor trade - paint sprayer) so made things a bit easier than crawling around on the driveway at home. Can it get any worse ???? Now with the centre bores adjusted all the wheels fitted so could be taken on and off with no problem. I dropped the wheels off to have the tyres fitted 235/55/17 all round 103 load as T32...... Right time to fit on the van, loving the look lowered the ramp and pulled the van out into the yard where at this point realised there was yet another problem! Back on the ramp ....... The front wheels were fouling on the brake calipers !!!!!!!!!!! They are sorted now with the help of a 3mm spacer. But come on - the wheels are sold by WELLER for a VW T5 - should you need to do all this to make them fit ????? I have let WELLER WHEELS know about the problems but as yet - No Reply! One more thing the VW centre caps don't fit properly either. Sorry there are no photo's at the moment as I'm having trouble loading them up I will get there in the end.... maybe

1 - 20 of 45 Posts