VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm very pleased to say I've had my West Dubs pop top fitted this morning.

As requested, I was very eager with my phone and took lots of pics of the install process along with the bits which require trimming after fitment.

Stage 1: Out with the Headlining

Stage 2: Cut the hold

This is where I was bricking it. But Stu knew his stuff and had the hold measured and cut very efficiently T: Edges were then filed down

Stage 3: Strengthening frame

This is vital, as a lot of strength is removed when the hole is cut...

Stage 4: Roof in position

Stage 5: Hinge line-up

Captive Nuts fitted for hinges - very neat

Stage 6: Fit canvas

FINISHED

For those of you wanting pictures of what the metalwork looks like when fitted, here they are.

In all, I am extremely happy with the roof and confident in the work Stu did... I was there through the whole install, grilling him about replacement canvas, issues with water ingress and more!

Only comment I would make is that if I had a LWB, I'd not be as happy due to there only being a standard size SWB roof and there would be a large gap of roof if it was LWB... However, for the price, you can't be too fussy T:

The 1.5hr drive home along the M5/M42/M40 at a constant 70 was no different in terms of sound so I'm very pleased! T:

Off to B&Q to get bed boards now :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nice one Mate,i am thinking of having one of these with the intention of a bed up top so look forward to some piccys of it fitted.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one Mate,i am thinking of having one of these with the intention of a bed up top so look forward to some piccys of it fitted.
Was going to give it a wash before photos, but ah well who cares, the van's used not a show piece Rasp:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also those strengthening sections look the ticket ...are they bonded and bolted.
They sure are. Sikaflex black bonding, with about 8 nice big rivets along each side. T:

Oh and is that a type 82 in back grnd ....
Yeah - saw it the minute I drove in... Very cool - and really well restored T:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Great to see you got sorted Zimbo..you've been so excited looking forward to your roof(I was too)..good set of photos too...only the foam to get for my roofbed now and mines finished(need another projectI:)...give us some more photos of your progress please..A:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good value for money IMO, i cant help thinking they could make the hinges a little less obvious though.
I do agree, that they could find a way to fit an internal hinge... But I can't complain - the hinges are polished stainless and so are the bolts, so I'm not too worried :D

As for a roof rack - I'd say they'd take a bit of weight but they are only GRP/Fibreglass

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
i take it these are purley for head space as they are side lifting and theres no space for sleeping?
Plenty of space for sleeping..many of us have fitted beds in them, and just as much room as many front lifters, and give you more headroom down length of Van...plenty of photos in my profileT:

·
Registered
938 Posts
this might be a stupid / obvious question, but having never looked at or been in a van with a pop top, is getting up there a case of just hauling yourself up?
I had one of these on my old T4, when driver/passenger seats are swivelled round, they become handy steps T:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I have 3 boards to my bed so can slide either way to get up by moving 1 board..I usually climb on my 3/4 RR bed to get upT:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spoke with Stu yesterday and he quoted £1000 Sounds a great price), side evelation White roof.
Just wondered about the bed boards. How does that work to be able to sleep up top?
Forgot to ask him about that. Does he supply these in the cost or is that extra? If he does not, any body know where you can get them and how much?

Also cant work out side lift or front lift. Stu only does side? any one know where to get a good front lift?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts