VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for carpeting and boxing the front and rear sections in its a side opening fitted on a lwb t4

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi,

I have seen the pics of your roof. I also have a lwb t4 and have been looking at the West Dubs side elevating roof, can you recommend. Have you managed to get yours carpeted and a bed in it yet?T:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have literally just refitted my roof bed after carpeting all the surrounding support frame. I've also added a Shaker style finish to the bottom of the roof bed so I'm hoping it will look good. Added 14 single warm white leds supplied by seal designs last week in the frame as well - it does look really smart when its all done...

The van is just having a full service, MoT and the FK coilover suspension put on as I speak by LMK in Clanfield and I should have it back by next wednesday - once I have, I will post a load of pictures for you....

:ILU:

The only thing I want to do is get Westduds to cchange the exterior plastic to canvas as it folds and creases badly when the roof is strapped down.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I have just finished carpeting my Westdubs roof and built a roofbed and installed downlighters too..having trouble loading photos to the site(don't know why it should be so hard)..also have worked on a better(in my opinion) tie down system, as not happy with the hanging strapsI:..am posting the photos I have managed to upload..T:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
how did you make the bed ?, then access it ?
Made it in 3 sections as I didn't want it in the Van all the time(18mm quite heavy)..2x24"long and 1x21"long covered in carpet..lift smallest 1 up(at back) to access by climbing on R&R T:...still trying to get photos uploaded:* and will post when(if) it happens:(

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
The only thing I want to do is get Westduds to cchange the exterior plastic to canvas as it folds and creases badly when the roof is strapped down.[/QUOTE]

Really haven't had any trouble with this happening with mine...perhaps he has changed the material since yours was done?

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Hi,

I have seen the pics of your roof. I also have a lwb t4 and have been looking at the West Dubs side elevating roof, can you recommend. Have you managed to get yours carpeted and a bed in it yet?T:
I have managed to upload some photos at last and you may be interested in the results of how I have managed to finish it off...just need to get some curtains for the roof now..T:

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
That's liking really good T:

Just got my van back, now have finance for roof, scared :eek:

Did you have lots of work to do when you got it back?

Jo
Thanks Jo...took my time and thought about what I wanted..Stew at Westdubs puts in strenghners which need covering and the edges of the headlining have to be tidied up, but the stretchy carpet is easy to work with as you can pull it about a lot..really satisfying to do all the work myself on the Van:)...of course, I don't know how handy you are but give it a go is my advice, and if you get stuck there's always myself and the Forum to askT: Just noticed you are only over Newquay..if you need a look let me know, i'm over there now and again..

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is mine, it has 6"wide strips of 6mm ply, rivetted to aluminium strip folded into a 'C' section and then carpeted, this ends up as a J section that overlaps on top of the original steel roof, covers the cut edge and then covers inside the headliner to where the original roof panels were. Its held in with self tappers, I wanted it to be easily removable to run wires in the future. I dont have aroof bed fitted.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
This is mine, it has 6"wide strips of 6mm ply, rivetted to aluminium strip folded into a 'C' section and then carpeted, this ends up as a J section that overlaps on top of the original steel roof, covers the cut edge and then covers inside the headliner to where the original roof panels were. Its held in with self tappers, I wanted it to be easily removable to run wires in the future. I dont have aroof bed fitted.

Carpeting looks good, but looks like you need a bit more tension in your Canvas...:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi all

Had roof fitted by stu yesterday. Quality job for the money. Gonna have a crack at carpeting the frame and bed boards this weekend, but unsure how much carpet to buy ????

Any pointers would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Hi all

Had roof fitted by stu yesterday. Quality job for the money. Gonna have a crack at carpeting the frame and bed boards this weekend, but unsure how much carpet to buy ????

Any pointers would be appreciated
At 2metres wide I got 4metres of the 4way stretchy carpet..worked out I had some left over, but good just in case you make any mistakes...make sure you get good quality spray glue(high temperature)...post pics, and good luck T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts