VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I could not call it a build thread...

How it looked in May 06

Dropped it on a set of KW's

It did fall honestly, Drop once settled :)

Before

After

Next I moved onto the Audio Install.. Completely striped the front out..

Recently sourced HQ Sound proofing so going to have to do it again.

Went for Alpine "stuff"

Head Unit compatible with Iphone, Bluetooth Unit, Amp x2, 2 Subs - Slim and Active, Loudest.com speakers, 2x Headrest monitors. Its like being in the cinema without the big screen

Moved on to the outside found a set of these OEM Phaeton's 18x8.5 ET45 I can not wait for Spring to slap tyres on and Roll with these..

They are FAT!!

Finally Got the screens working with the iPhone.. Not sure i like the position of the iphone Dock.. Still loving the screens. one each when your in bed..

Had a faf wiring them in.. Had to pull off the covers, inside the headrest's i then cut an internal cross bar off, cut the wires to / from the Video and Audio switch, reconnected the thin wires, run wires through the seats, keeping away from the heating elements, down through the base plates under the carpet and up to the front compartment under the dash. I will need to do a better job of the foam surrounding of the screens but i am happy with them at the moment.

More to follow now i have started the thread..

·
Registered
2000 T4 California Exclusive 2.5 TDi
543 Posts
looking good
ill be watching this as I bought a westy myself and need to put new speakers in
what speakers did you use for the doors and for the rear cupboard?

cheers
irishkeet:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I went with Loudest.com speakers..

They are great for the van, it takes a bit of work getting the door speakers in as they are not so shallow. However they are strong, a little bright, so when paired with a decent set of cross overs, run actively (with AMP) they sound fantastic, price vs performance I could not be happier.

I found the eBay shop is great for price and service.

2x 13cm in the dash, 2x17cm in the doors. I can recommend the speakers with the 4 x 100 CH Alpine AMP you see snuggled in front pod.

13cm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-10cm-2-Way-...nment_GPS_Car_Speakers_PP?hash=item5884ce1613
17cm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-5-17cm-2-Wa...peakers_PP?hash=item5884ce1b80#ht_9854wt_1167

AMP
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=190&Itemid=54

2x13cm in the rear cupboard driven with a small 2 ch 100w Amp from within the cupboard. Powered from the rear leisure battery, grounded on the chassis.

I then converted the 2 pairs of speaker wires within the rear cupboard to RCA's using 1 common ground for both Left and right RCA's to the AMP using the spare - to be used as the remote sense input to the AMP.

No fuss running more wires leaving the originals intact.

Sub wise i ran with a pioneer http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=417&Itemid=54

I simply removed the large heavy top front bed board ( i never use it unless we are going for a trip ) removed the rear foam and dropped it up there, with the port facing towards the cab, it fills the van with a subtle amount of bass or... if you want you can shake the roof... All in with the AMPS set correctly and levels correct on the head unit the system runs without distortion at any volume.

Within 5 Mins you can remove the Sub and pop in the top bed. It also means i can restore the van back to 100% original if needed in the future. (leaving in the speakers running with the original VW head Unit)

Other options.. are available.. any 13cm or 17cm speakers will fit.. DLS, Apline, Kappa are all good choices.. shallower they are the less they offer punch wise, hence why the Loudest (massive Drivers / Magnets) They are good for a van they are built for a strong punchy sound not purist sound quality... but its a van :)

Loudvanman also rates them.

Bit to much information from what you asked but it should help .

Cheers
Bertros

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
looking good fella, should make you nice and deaf!! LOL:

Still got a strange ringing in my ears from my installations of a few days ago T:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Looking well goodA:
what did you do with the old alloys?
I have the same ones and Im thinking of changing them too, where dod you get the OEM Phaeton's from?

cheers
irishkeet;)

O.K finally got around to fitting the wheels... A little too much drop .. hmmm :) possibly

It has changed the look completely very happy with it !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using the Original wheels for the Winter Months .. Well If i can make myself change them :)

I got the Wheels from a private seller on Wheel whores... They were reconditioned. no cracks just a few stone chips etc not to pricy all in wheels and fitted tyres around £600.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am using the Original wheels for the Winter Months .. Well If i can make myself change them :)

I got the Wheels from a private seller on Wheel whores... They were reconditioned. no cracks just a few stone chips etc not to pricy all in wheels and fitted tyres around £600.
thanks bertros

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K kicking this thread back into life.. Ive had the van over 13 years not posting for 9 years on here :( life took hold ! So after 2 Kids!! and a DOG , 1 Clutch (only this year :)), 2 Timing belt changes, countless MOT's, oil changes, new horns, disks, pads, brake calipers, new steering rack and enough general maintenance to keep the local garage in business - Tunning comprised of A full stainless steel exhaust system, EGR Blanking, Bossio .22 nosils and a Remap to 155 BHP, 175,000Km's to 8 different Countries, many festivals and many weekend trips... Its in a sorry state.

Looking back on her in the prime i feel i bit gutted! The stereo is out, the headrest tv screens are gone, the wheels swapped out for something functional to get me around mountain bike trail centres and campsites.

Its time to give the old birds some much needed TLC.. ! Will keep posting any relevant updates on here but that was the story so far I am looking for help and advice on what to do to bring here back into the 2020's ( and no i dont want to swap it for a T6 ;) ! This is her now :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O.K kicking this thread back into life.. Ive had the van over 13 years not posting for 9 years on here :( life took hold ! So after 2 Kids!! and a DOG , 1 Clutch (only this year :)), 2 Timing belt changes, countless MOT's, oil changes, new horns, disks, pads, brake calipers, new steering rack and enough general maintenance to keep the local garage in business - Tunning comprised of A full stainless steel exhaust system, EGR Blanking, Bossio .22 nosils and a Remap to 155 BHP, 175,000Km's to 8 different Countries, many festivals and many weekend trips... Its in a sorry state.

Looking back on her in the prime i feel i bit gutted! The stereo is out, the headrest tv screens are gone, the wheels swapped out for something functional to get me around mountain bike trail centres and campsites.

Its time to give the old birds some much needed TLC.. ! Will keep posting any relevant updates on here but that was the story so far I am looking for help and advice on what to do to bring here back into the 2020's ( and no i dont want to swap it for a T6 ;) ! This is her now :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12CT5PvzuRjao9oew_JZ99lUo96QNgZyf

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 12 of 12 Posts