VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

after some help identifying the make of pop top I have as I need to know whether roof bars are an option to transport my canoe. The straps inside are reimo but I Assume these can be fitted to non reimo roofs. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Thule has roof racks for canoes.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Thanks Indian. The million dollar question is, will my pop top handle it. I have read that only a few tops will but have no idea what type mine is.
I know the Westfalia top handles it. Check the thickness of the materials used. I am sure yours will handle the weight. 8 holes needs to be drilled and reinforced with 16 metal plates, 2 each on both sides of the fitting points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the Westfalia top handles it. Check the thickness of the materials used. I am sure yours will handle the weight. 8 holes needs to be drilled and reinforced with 16 metal plates, 2 each on both sides of the fitting points.
it flexes a lot in the middle when pressed from the top from outside the van. I’m not sure if this normal. But feels solid if pushed up from the inside. Thoughts??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, more questions. At what thickness does the roof become ok to strap a canoe to it? The canoe is around 38kg.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
it flexes a lot in the middle when pressed from the top from outside the van. I’m not sure if this normal. But feels solid if pushed up from the inside. Thoughts??
Same as my Westfalia top. The T4 should carry 100 kg on the roof. In Nigeria they carry about 500 kg on the roof.
The fixing points are on the sides of the poptop so no worries. The canoe is not fixed to the roof but on bars thats anchored on the sides of the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Only because Thule was mentioned above, here is the Thule link. Many others have an airline track style mounting point. You just need to find one with towers and bars, then attach the topping of your choice, canoe, box, basket, bikes, snowboards, etc.

Thule tracks for poptop rack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same as my Westfalia top. The T4 should carry 100 kg on the roof. In Nigeria they carry about 500 kg on the roof.
The fixing points are on the sides of the poptop so no worries. The canoe is not fixed to the roof but on bars thats anchored on the sides of the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. That makes sense. I’ll take a look at the Thule bars

cheers Indian.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Here are the Thule stands.
View attachment 180830

Yeah, those are for the raingutter style application. However, for the newer poptops there isn't as tall a side wall, and the newer Thule/Yakima/etc style will attach to the top of the roof. Like we have on our pickup shell toppers here in the states. Gives more freedom of tower placement too, all along the railing. And you can add more towers/bars and spread the load out a little more if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts