VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been having a long running saga with my van and cut a long story short I decided - after reading about on here - that the immobiliser is the culprit, HOWEVER like the knob I am I proceeded to 'smash off the black thing' and after doing so I saw it had a small switch. Now the black thing I smashed off had a copper/metal switch in it and was bolted to the plate with EGR stamped on (above the throttle arm), I don't think I have touched the immobiliser but broken the EGR switch - if this a major prob? and yes feel free to insult me for being such a fool.LOL:

On a further note I cannot see any other boxes which is why I attacked that one. If the cut off solenoid is where I think it might be it has two small metal clips holding a plug of sorts on, very grimy and oily. To the right of the EGR plate and a bugger to reach with the fans, rad etc still in place.

Van has; new battery, new fuel filter, new starter, has fuel at the injectors, starts sometimes (more often it doesn't), when it does start it runs fine. Turns over well.

Think the safe bet would be to locate solenoid, clean up the area and get a new one..?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

P.S. I have 2 VW manuals, Peter Russek and an A4 green one and neither are particularly clear as to location of the solenoid (I am trying to excuse myself for breaking the wrong bit)!

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi mate. hope you got it all sorted. never owned a turbo til recently so not sure about the egr switch's function but i am pretty sure the other wire pair going to the pump are for nothing more than a simple cut-off solenoid. any immobilisation i think is pre-solenoid and not within it. good luck anyhoo!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel I have redeemed myself as I have removed the immobiliser and van starts every time and did over 100 miles yesterday no probs.
Also got the 3rd seat fitted in the back so all in all a successful day. Wouldn't have been able to without having access to all the info on here and advice from people so thumbs up one and all.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 1.9TD should run better with the EGR switch out the equation anyway so you have probably done yourself a favour. Probably worth blanking off the EGR while your at it. Blanking plates are only £3 posted on ebay or make your own if you can be bothered

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
The 1.9TD should run better with the EGR switch out the equation anyway so you have probably done yourself a favour. Probably worth blanking off the EGR while your at it. Blanking plates are only £3 posted on ebay or make your own if you can be bothered
As said here! Mine ran fine with no switch, valve and with all pipework removed blanked off T:T:T:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: What a plonka, think I broke the EGR switch? 1.9TD ABL 2000 Wreg....more problems

My troubles continue just when I think it's going well! :(

After the long trip on Monday I am nearly back home and fuel needle had just hit the red line, engine spluttered a little so I though, needs fuel (was gonna top up anyway). Put £20 in and was okay. Drove the 5 or so miles home. However this morning on the way to work (4 mile trip) had a few instances of spluttering; engine drops revs to tickover despite putting my foot down, change down a gear and give it some welly and it seemed to come back to life. Did this a couple of times (very worrying when traffic is steaming towards me). Not had a look at the engine as yet but does this seem familiar to anyone?

It didn't miss a beat on the 100 mile trip so confused as to how it's started now. got the fuel from Shell if it makes any difference. Am thinking that possibly fuel/turbo problem??????????

HELP!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Re: What a plonka, think I broke the EGR switch? 1.9TD ABL 2000 Wreg....more problems

EGR wont be the problem. It could possibly be some trapped air in the lines due to you running it low or putting the wrong fuel in. Its easy to do and if you do the petrol will float on the top and draw it through on corners or when braking. I am as pedantic as they come but i managed to misfuel my van not so long ago after a long night shift, its easilly done!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely picked up the black pump and know it was diesel 'cause it stank and the handle was covered in it (now I know why diesel drivers use those plastic gloves)!

Fingers crossed for the drive home now.......! :eek:

Still appreciate advice if anyone else had a similar problem.:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still having trouble, loses power suddenly, speedo moving when stationery!? 1.9TD ABL

It gets worse, if there was a cliff in Swindon this van'd be off it........

Starts fine (starts very well actually), when driving, or sat still and revving the revs mysteriously drop despite having my foot down, seems to do it when above 2500 revs mainly; its an 800 Special so has the rev counter. Van doesn't stall, just put my foot down again and it will pick back up. I also noticed that the Speedo - while sat still - jumped around. :eek:

What the F is it that's causing it to drop revs randomly?

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi mate. first thing i would do is monitor very closely the clear fuel line to the pump. when you say the revs drop does it splutter? it sounds like air is getting in to the line and if its enough to leave it without throttle then you will certainly see it on that clear line. it wont be the solenoid you messed with because that would stall the engine immediately.

if it is air then obvious place to start is the line and filter but apparently it seems common for the fuel level sender to allow air in when its ed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woop woop

I think it's sorted. Got my EGR blanking plates fitted this evening (one on exhaust manifold and one on turbo manifold - that one had to have the holes realigned I: andthen removed whole EGR assembly)
Went for a test drive. Van dropped the revs on a few occasions - sudden loss of power but recovered by easing back on the accelerator and then easing on again, I persisted with it and after doing a 40min run by the last 20 mins it was running well.

So conclusion - running it down to the red line on fuel was a big no-no, must have picked up which has cleared through now.

PLUS - recommend blanking/removing EGR to anyone, engine revs much more freely and seems to pull easier although it revs at 3500 at 70mph - no idea if that is usual LOL:

Gonna do some more test runs to restore my faith (fingers crossed everyone) and then I can sell the Mondeo :eek: that I am relying on!

If it goes well then; lowering, new floor, aerial, alloys (or satin black steelies), some nice comfy front seats (Touran ones not great!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts