VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Normally it annoys me when people randomly revive long-dead threads to ask a vaugley related question, but I missed this the first time around and its freaking hilarious LOL:

Youre best bet is to PM colese about wheel bolts, he can supply longer wheel bolts, lockers, etc, and knows what hes talking about. To check if your bolts are long enough, pull one off the van, and compare how far through the van wheel it pokes, vs how far through the borbet it pokes - you want about the same amount of thread sticking out as on the original wheel. Or just ask colese, he sorted my bolts out with no issues :)

also, the borbets came with a flat cover and the security bolts that hold the cover on have a bolt head which looks like a recessed 6 pointed star shaped thingy thing with a upright bit in the middle
That sounds a lot like a 'security torx' bolt - does it look like this:

If so that is a '6 pointed security torx bit' available in a variety of sizes from halfords, amazon, ebay, and your local tool store :) Personally I like halfords advance and draper expert :)

next time, start a new thread!

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Another question from a complete non starter!

Ive just got a set of Borbet A alloys

7.5j et 30's

I was hoping to use the OE wheel bolts off the original steels, but Ive a nagging fear that they are not long enough

what bolts should I order to fit, (size/radius/length etc)

also, the borbets came with a flat cover and the security bolts that hold the cover on have a bolt head which looks like a recessed 6 pointed star shaped thingy thing with a upright bit in the middle

guess what, I aint got a socket head remotely like this ?????

(BTW, Im a carpenter, I can build you a house, fit a kitchen and a rake of other building tasks ranging from plumbing to tiling, but a mechanic/van expert I am not)

thanks in advance

chippo

Hi Mick the chippy ....... we kind of guessed you were a 'chippy' I:

I see you found the 'FN day I had' ! Did you know about 'spigot rings' ? ...... I certainly didn't ....... learned the hard way ;)

No, the standard bolts won't fit, as I said in the other thread they're too short. Talk to Colese, he's a nice man I'm sure he'll sort you out with a set. The flat caps you have sound as thought they're bolted on with 'Anti-tamper Torx' bolts, that'll explain the thing in the middle.

Did you take a look at the link I supplied for the cap securing kit ?

I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing your van with the Borbets on when you're done T:

TURK

·
Registered
61 Posts
mate, this is turning into a saga of epic proportions

me,

Thinks, buy some nice wheels,

spend ages searching for the right ones,

find them

turns out the seller is a foriegner that cant understand the simplest of delivery instructions.

delivery buggered up, have to go collect from couriers myself only to find on that day they are back on the delivery van attempting a second delivery, panicing phone call to next door neighbour gets em signed for

thread up on here about wheels/tyres etc, panic sets in again about weights loadings etc

answers come up on thread panic over

look a wheels, cover nuts ??? no socket, bugger !

then this bolt question

moff round my friendly garage next, been servicing my vans for years, hope to sort there

saw your covers post, they are the danglies, have Pm'd colese about things

·
Registered
228 Posts
After going for a test drive, I noticed immediately how comfortable the ride was. No more bone shaking up your spinal column, cornering is just about the same, and my worry of rubbing while in full lock, is none existent.

TURK
What rim and tyre sizes did you settle on then?

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
mate, this is turning into a saga of epic proportions

me,

Thinks, buy some nice wheels,

spend ages searching for the right ones,

find them

You shouldn't panic Mick ....... you've done the hard bit. What you have to realise is original Borbet A's are pretty rare, specially in a T4 fitting. It's not like running ordinary run of the mill wheels, there will be hoops to jump through unfortunately. I went through the same thing, in fact, when I bought mine from Colese I was living in Jersey in the Channel Islands, Si had to resend the delivery as Jersey customs refused entry into Jersey five times !

Hang in there mate ...... it'll be worth it in the end T:

If you need a hand with anything, PM me.

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I know, everyone hates old threads...but I quite like them :)

Greetings Turk, further to my 'waxing' about your bus there is just one question I'd like to ask about the borbets. Yours seem to stick out quite a way from the body panals , yet the grey and purple bus (above) seems different.

Are you running on spacers to 'kick' the rims out, or is it simply down to .....erm.....girth :)

I'm still wasting way too much time and risking my marriage over wheel choices :)

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi Rich,

Gazmataz' bus has extended wheel arches. There's a 'how-to' on the forum somewhere, probably in his build thread.
I remember reading about it a while ago, a very expensive job creating those arches.

My tyres poke out at least a centimetre on either side at the back, as the ET is slightly wrong. The front is bang on, but the slight poke on the rear really needs the arches to be extended. I'm planning a kit for that, as I'm hoping to vacuum form some wide wheel arches at some point.

When I researched the legalities of 'wheel poke', I never found an actual document that specified what are the legal requirements. Only bits of information that contradicted one another. I think it also depends on who's looking at your vehicle, MOT station, the boys in blue, and whether they're in a good mood or not. Personally, I would air on the side of caution and put your standard wheels back on at the time of MOT day.

One thing I did read time and time again was "the tyre tread must be in-line with the wheel arch", don't know how true that is, but mine are. So I don't measure from the 'outer of tyre' but the tread of the tyre.

So far, I haven't been pulled over :gl

My argument would be, if 'protrusions' from the side of the vehicle were illegal, why do all vehicles have wing or door mirrors that stick out !? and have you seen some of those door mirrors on those 4x4's ( Chelsea tractors ) they must stick out at least a foot !

Now onto the the subject of 'old threads' ......... unfortunately people don't take the time to read them ( I do constantly, I've learned a great deal from them ), in the early days of the forum ( some would agree the best times ), some of the best and most valuable articles were written. If people did the research, every question has been answered I think.

I also think it would helpful to new members if these older threads were resurrected now and then, as they certainly would have missed them. That's what I think anyway, but each to his own ;)

TURK

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Totally agree about old threads Turk. Its fine to have them smack up to date and so on ,but say you get a prob or want to look up something in a thread from a few years back. Hey presto you find something and want to join in the chat. Go for it, i sayA:

I had just this a few weeks back. Had a starting prob with my T4 - see PM ! - and checked various old threads about fuel lines, air in fuel , then wiring and relay issues. Even the garage who eventually sorted my problem commented how useful it was to have a Forum like this with so much on starting problems !! But neither they nor I are ever impressed with the search facilities on here which seem to be dark art all to themselves.
And another thing.....if you're a new comer to T4s and want to read up all about conversions or whatever, its a lot of fun going back through old threads . Long may it continue...
Sorry, just seen this was about Borbets, me bad :D

61 - 70 of 70 Posts