VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

What an FN BS day I had ! ......... Borbet WARNING !

12K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  veedubadub 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I trust everybody had a successful day :)

I, on the other hand ........ had possibly the worst day in quite a while :(

I have spent literally months researching Borbet A's, and a decent tyre package.
With the help of Colese, I got me some stunners.

As my staggered Contis arrived yesterday, I got them to put the tyres on only. I wanted to put the Borbet's on myself as I wanted to clean up the arches and the brake calipers.

Here's what I had ....... before the 'farce' ensued ! >>

A quick line up, showed that I wouldn't have to alter my suspension too much, if at all. >>

So I got cracking ....... low profile trolly jack, axle stands, breaker bar ......... 17mm socket.
Went to undo the first bolt ......... crack !!!! ......... I had just snapped my socket :mad:

So off to town I went. went to the tyre place with all wheels on board. As it's their half day, I got there just before closing time.
So he lent me a 17mm socket ( what a nice man T: ), at least I could continue.

So, back to the 'workshop' ........ I proceeded to remove the front right wheel.
Lined up my Borbet ......... only to find out it doesn't fit !!!! hsy:

Here's the problem ...... that center 'ring' which is part of the brake, is 72mm in diameter. >>

And the center hole of the Borbet is ...... yup, you guessed it ! ........ smaller ! :( ...... 67mm in fact :* >>

I'm sure you can now understand my frustrations, so much time and effort, not to mention the expense !

Over £ 1,100 spent on wheels and tyres
Over £ 400 spent on 2.8 tonne trolly jack and axle stands.

What now ...... I'm at a loss :*

Why hasn't somebody on the forum ever noticed this !?
Look at any post on this forum, it'll tell you Borbet A's fit T4's :confused:

What on earth is going on ....... are my brakes different on my late 2003 T4 :*

TURK

See less See more
#9 ·
Being as so many of you are saying the same thing, you must be right !
Maybe it's rusted on :* I tried everything to get that off.

Maybe I'll have another go tomorrow armed with a lump hammer :D

Please don't take the micky ...... it's not nice I: It's the first time I've ever changed wheels.

It's all a learning curve mate.

TURK

#10 ·
LOL:...we are only messing mate....your skill with those lights is far superior to my wheel fitting...T:

it is a spigot mate.....it will come off....it could be a metal one...

i am pretty sure i sent spigots with the the wheels?.....these will be fitted in stead...

it will come off...i can clearly see from the picture it is still fitted...i am 100% correct....prob been on there for many years...

just had a look through your profile,are you removing those 18's....?..if so then those wheels would have a 72.0 centre bore...T:

#14 ·
if you dont and you have a 72mm hub,then you have the only vw ever made with that size hub..

your hub size is 57.1

That's what I wanted to hear. It's a confirmation of sorts.

But at the time, I questioned whether VW made the hubs in different sizes.
You can take it from me, that thing is well stuck on there !

I'm glad you lot are having fun ......... as for me ...... NOT :(

TURK

#22 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the support guys ....... I knew I could count on you to take the P I S S I:

Good idea about the hub pictures, if you have no knowledge of various hubs and in particular the T4 types, you start questioning what type you have ....... therefore, you just put it down to a bad purchase, and why weren't you warned about the center spigot diameter.

It's definitely metal guy's, if I still can't remove it tomorrow with a hammer and flat blade screw driver, I suppose I could use heat !?

i am pretty sure i sent spigots with the the wheels?.....these will be fitted in stead...
Oh, you mean those plastic things .......... I tossed em out as they were too small :(

....... just kidd'in mate :D

i would remove the spigot mate and then delete the thread....before it turns into a laughing thread....

No I won't delete the thread ! ...... Think it's the whole purpose of any forum, us mere amateurs learning from the people in the know. Hopefully this thread will help some other poor unfortunate T:

I should of added ..... dim witt !

TURK

#24 ·
PMSL thank the lord I am not alone. I feel for you mate, had a similar experience changing the rear pads on an espace, could not get the piston to go back, had been years since I had done any and didn't know about the new fangled screw in/need a special press tool calipers nowadays, I was there 3 days!!
Your pain will be someone else's gain in knowledge and google-ability, I say never delete,stand proud in our ignorance!

#25 · (Edited)
TURK

Well done mate in leaving the thread in place. Its the only way that people will learn from other peoples experiences / difficulties, admire your honesty.

When I come to replace my wheels I will now know what to look for if my new ones dont seem to fitT:

goo

#26 ·
Actually I think this is a great thread and you are wise TURK to seek advice, instead of bash first and ask questions later. I wonder if a bit of very carefully placed WD40 (mind them brakes though) might work its magic? Otherwise, I'd say head the bugger up with either a blow torch or one of them Crem Brulee torches if you're a bit posh! Metal spigot rusted in place would probably almost welded itself in over time. Flat screw driver blade down the side as well as the back might help spring it free a bit too.

Anyway, very useful I'm sure to the many other peeps on here who've never done this particular task before.

And yu say this is the first time you've put a set of wheels on? And you've started with a set of Borbet A's!!! Wow... you're not messing about are you... talk about start as you mean to go on!

Pictures up when fitted please.... in the meantime, welcome to club staggered Borbet A... I promise it will be worth it!:ILU:

#27 ·
Thanks for that guys, appreciate it T:

I could of easily just let the tyre fitters put the Borbet's on. But me being me ........ I wanted to do it.

I would of learned nothing, I would of gained nothing :*

At least now I know ....... and much the wiser :D

I'll be sure to post some pictures when I'm done, as I'm pretty confident now armed with my new knowledge, that I'll manage it tomorrow.

Many thanks chaps T:

TURK

#30 ·
Fella. The good thing from this is the fact you can stand up and admit to not knowing. Plus the fact you'll get those awesome wheels on your bus. T:

I've been in a similar situation.

Because everyone else does it without any hassle makes you doubt your own abilities and that's not a nice feeling.

Can't wait to see pictures of those Borbet As on. :ILU:

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was a kitchen worktop for me. :* For the life of me I couldn't get the other side of a 90° corner to cut without chipping the nose of the worktop. 4 attempts and each the same. I was running out of worktop that had cost a reasonable sum. :bhd
So decided to have a cup of tea and it was then I read the instructions on the jig. Which I'd read before but had forgotten.

Turn worktop over to make the opposite cut
What a t!t is what I was thinking of myself.

#31 ·
it may need a tap all the way round to get it loose if its been on to long , why not try a different wheel/corner first as it may come off easier and youll know what to do with the stubborn one
j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.