11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I am new to the t4 scene so couple of questions

How much for a new cylinder head gasket with skimming

Hourly rate for welding been quoted £50

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Difficult to give a clear response , as so much can be uncovered once work starts ..!! £50 an hour is close to average . Only when the head is off will you discover whether it is enough to just skim , and replace gasket ......

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally wouldn't be to fussed on the hourly rate and try and get a quote for the whole job instead or at least a ballpark figure .... how many cups of tea does he have in an hour and all that :D

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Personally wouldn't be to fussed on the hourly rate and try and get a quote for the whole job instead or at least a ballpark figure .... how many cups of tea does he have in an hour and all that :D
Yup. Just being quoted an hourly rate without a total price doesn't really tell you how much you will pay.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
There won't be a 'national average', best bet is agree a price for the job, and let them get on with it. Not an open ended price per hour! As has been said no one has a crystal ball and from time to time the unexpected will arise, and you will have to allow for that too.

I have used my main dealer for over 16 years on my current T4, just as I did for my previous 3. They look after me, and when presented with the bill I just pay it :D

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Yes , your Q was a bit loaded ..!! Far better to let someone have a good look at it , for what you want , and get an overall price , allowing for surprises ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks
I have been quoted £750 for new cylinder head gasket , skimming and pressure test and also £700 for welding which was described as all four corners I know one section was in and around fuel filter area but not seen other areas my self I was told this was for 10 hours labour and £200 materials
What do you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts