VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first V5 conversion on the road (pardon the pun).

I have been reading many threads and I've come to the conclusion that paying for better quality parts will help the vehicle hold it's value or even increase it.

Certain tasks I know can be complex and are worth getting an experienced pair of hands to do, however as this is going to be a new hobby of mine I would like to do as much of the work myself.

Could people suggest what tasks you should definitely leave to a professional and what are worth doing yourself.

Like most people I will be restricted to a budget to if there are tasks you can do yourself which will save you money I'd like to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,805 Posts
Depends how handy you are really .

I was happy to fit the windows ,insulate ,carpet lining, flooring furniture etc but need guidance with the wiring side of things .

I wouldn't be happy to fit my own pop top if I decide that's what I want at a later date .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the same position. I am planning on getting a high spec van but keeping costs down where I can by doing things myself.

Insulation/Sound proofing/windows and possibly furniture/fitting of bed I plan on doing myself. Pop top/electrical/plumbing done by a pro.

Does anyone have a good DIY/pro list that gives someone a good idea on order to do things at home then taking it to convertors?

Hopefully this will help answer the original posts questions.

T:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first V5 conversion on the road (pardon the pun).

I have been reading many threads and I've come to the conclusion that paying for better quality parts will help the vehicle hold it's value or even increase it.

Certain tasks I know can be complex and are worth getting an experienced pair of hands to do, however as this is going to be a new hobby of mine I would like to do as much of the work myself.

Could people suggest what tasks you should definitely leave to a professional and what are worth doing yourself.

Like most people I will be restricted to a budget to if there are tasks you can do yourself which will save you money I'd like to know.

Thanks
You can do the whole lot yourself on a driveway if you want and have the time. The information and advice is readily available of forums like this.

I've done my whole build using basic power tools from Aldi or B&Q, right down to cutting my own ply panels, floor, furniture etc.
It's been done slowly over a year or so, but if you put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't do yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hopefully this might help, my order of doing things.

Remove plylining (me)
Remove bulkhead (me)
Poptop fitted (professional)
Windows fitted (pro)
Wiring (me, Electrician by trade!)
Insulating, Carpet lining, Flooring, Lighting, Speakers (me)
Evo furniture, RIB seat, Solar panel, Tow bar (me)

Mostly in that order, with help from lots of threads on here and video's on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Concur with the above, if you're handy and happy using power tools you're 75% there.
I got the windows fitted by a pro, purely down to time constraints and I wanted a warranty, the kitchen was build for me but I did the installation and everything else, including the eberspacher fitted and all the wiring.

This forum is a goldmine for problem solving and of course YouTube. Main piece of advice is plan and research and make sure you have plenty of good quality drill bits, Screwfix will become your friend.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Me and my girlfriend are doing everything we can ourselves, insulation, carpeting, electrics, flooring. We are ordering a bed and wardrobes which well fit ourselves as well. Just need to take your time, research everything and if your stuck ask for help on here, everyone will always give advice.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You can do the whole lot yourself on a driveway if you want and have the time. The information and advice is readily available of forums like this.

I've done my whole build using basic power tools from Aldi or B&Q, right down to cutting my own ply panels, floor, furniture etc.
It's been done slowly over a year or so, but if you put your mind to it, there's nothing you can't do yourself.

that looks very very professional pal, top job. were the units from evo design or did you do them yourself? T:T:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
As others have previously commented it depends on your skill and confidence levels
there's 100s on here that are self builds
ranging from outstanding to terrible

the advantage of building it yourself is you get exactly what you want the way you want it
labour costs don't come into it as your own time is basically free

I've built 3 over the last 5 years and I'm planning number 4 now a new T6
good luck with you build
you will find plenty of help on this forum

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
that looks very very professional pal, top job. were the units from evo design or did you do them yourself? T:T:
My own work. :)

Being a Shuttle and wanting to leave the offside slider usable for access, no off the shelf stuff would fit. Initially I made templates out of Correx then used these on 15mm Moisture resistant MDF. The idea was to use these as templates to scan as a CAD file get a firm to CNC cut the panels from Vohringer ply.

I weighed the sheets of MDF and they were only about 7KG heavier than Vohringer. Disregarding offcuts, I reckon it's well under 20KG heavier than Vohringer, so decided to 2K paint it in an old tent in the garden and go with it. With the lightweight tambour doors, it was surprisingly light.

I've had an unpainted offcut out in the garden all winter and it hasn't swollen up at all in the damp. It's not perfect and I work in IT as a trade, but it's a hard finish, waterproof and will Polish to a cracking shine the more I try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've done all of mine myself, except fitting the windows. Used an evo furniture kit and a smart bed frame but upholstered it myself.

It's all do able if you've got the time and do your research. Worth checking out what actually saves you a decent amount of money doing it yourself.

I thought about fitting the windows myself, but was quoted £100 for a pro to fit them (already had the windows), then when I looked at the prices of the glues etc that I'd have had to buy to fit them that was going to be £50. So fitting them myself would only have saved £50 seemed a bargain to get someone else to do it for that.

Same with the furniture kit, once I worked out the prices it would have cost me for all the materials to have a go at making it properly myself, the evo kit (expensive as it was) seemed much better value. And I'd have never been able to make it anywhere near the standard the kit came out at. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.