VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been speaking to a few of the other regional reps and things seem real quiet with unexpectedly low turn outs.

Any reason for this or anything we can do to spice things up a bit to get the numbers in.

I know you cant drag people there but things are deffo quiet

Any suggestions :*

10,824 Posts
Pull the crowds in though mate ;)

I personally don't think you'll be able to persued more to come mate, you have already changed it to different locations and stuck on a BBQ, the trouble is that not all owners are as die hard as us mate :*

The only other alternative is to put on different things to add a bit of spice into it such as activities. I know it's harder in the winter but if weekend afternoons are available for peeps then al the better.

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
holiday season and lotsa shows...turnout's often a bit less cos people commit their VW time elsewhere...

i'll come to the next one you do though, if i'm not working T: (actually that'll probably drive folk away :( )

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Im guilty of missing some meets this summer..why? Because work is much busier in the summer and Im bleeding knackered by time get home also as mentioned I catch u with mates at shows more in summer than winter so get my fix of loons at weekends..I:

Or you could have a guest aperance..who did Bristol have once Oh yer Cathy Barry and looked what trouble that caused..

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holiday season and lotsa shows...turnout's often a bit less cos people commit their VW time elsewhere...

i'll come to the next one you do though, if i'm not working T: (actually that'll probably drive folk away :( )
Yea that's all I need si lol. Me you and a bit of tumble weed. :D

Chris it wasn't a pop at anybody bud for not turning up in fact our meet has remained the same since I took over T:

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Sorry to hear your a bit sad about this bud, for the record in recent months it appears you have been one (no one else get the hump!) of the most active RC's.

You have been part of organising two massive events T:

As for the regional meets they are always going to be fraught with people not turning up :( as people as the Rt Hon Dantro Esq points out are not always that 'die hard'.

Some observations:

The last Sussex meet was on a Sunday (some peeps, myself included) at a later Hertics meets complained it was on a Sunday Lunch I: as we did not like binning off our weekends. In essence you are never going to please everyone with timing; some idiots ^^ I: are always going to whine / be alienated

As an aside the Sussex meet was fantastic BBB drove all the way down and everyone was really nice. Looking forward to the next oneT:

In Sussex we also have VW Heritage who (rikvan on here is part of the team) organise Thursday evening events for all VW's. At the first one around 3 times more T4's turned up than our Regional :* Reason, well I do not really know but suspect 1/ it attracted people you were not on the forum thus many folks ran into people they knew from elsewhere 2/ there was a second 'activity' in other dubs 3/ central location 4/ novelty factor, attendance has dropped since the first meet but is still high

In Sussex there was a thread started about T4's in Worthing and who was who this then morphed into a new (regional) meet for West Sussex (aside the thread being a bit off topic, and no disrespect for the very nice chaps involved) there have been a few interesting posts on that thread which focus on location. One was to the effect that a member felt that there was no point in the 'Worthing' folk driving an hour (which its not) for a meet (again I am using this to illustrate a point). I know you have changed this for you meets Keith but location or peoples perception of it can still be a massive bug

Summary

- Location is the key spice and I think moving is key to getting attendance up T: My regional is held ten mins from me but is it fair that West Sussex have to drive an hour :*

- Regular meetings as indirectly touched on above are important as people then feel part of something the newbie's do not get bored.

- Some form as aside as per the title is important so organising a regional at another local show / meet is a good idea. May be befriend the local air cooled's :eek: LOL:. Some form of getting to know people may help (ice breaker). I think an on mass activity may be counter productive.

- Back another point raised, working on peoples perception of the meets in terms of 'marketing' is key. Not sure how to do this though :(

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Some very valid points there ed T: keith always puts so much into thisT:

Check out the new style intro for the exeter sticky I did a while back :ILU:

·
6,177 Posts
Some very valid points there ed T: keith always puts so much into thisT:

Check out the new style intro for the exeter sticky I did a while back :ILU:
This is most important of all Chippy (Keith) put so much into the meetings and his role he should not worry T:

You thread and concept look spot on to me Matt, which can only be back up by the nice things people have to say you T: Like the idea of a bit of movement and a BBQ :D

I wonder if have a bit of a 'marketing' problem with the meets in general, yes once people get there they love it (or I hope they do) but I wonder if we have an attraction problem in the first place?

(LOL:) As an aside I am not sure I want to come to your meets someone in the first photo has got so depressed they have decided to end it all and BBQ their head Rasp: (sorry, would always come really if I was in the area T:)

10,824 Posts
This is most important of all Chippy (Keith) put so much into the meetings and his role he should not worry T:

You thread and concept look spot on to me Matt, which can only be back up by the nice things people have to say you T: Like the idea of a bit of movement and a BBQ :D

I wonder if have a bit of a 'marketing' problem with the meets in general, yes once people get there they love it (or I hope they do) but I wonder if we have an attraction problem in the first place?

(LOL:) As an aside I am not sure I want to come to your meets someone in the first photo has got so depressed they have decided to end it all and BBQ their head Rasp: (sorry, would always come really if I was in the area T:)

Think you'll find that's Matts special brand of charcoal made from illegal substances that he is having a good whiff off, does it every meet and some of us are getting a bit concerned that one day the rozzers will catch him do it then arrest him and put him in a cell with murdering gang rapists :(

·
6,177 Posts
Think you'll find that's Matts special brand of charcoal made from illegal substances that he is having a good whiff off, does it every meet and some of us are getting a bit concerned that one day the rozzers will catch him do it then arrest him and put him in a cell with murdering gang rapists :(
So 'Special' charcoal on the Barbie Rasp: get the peeps hallucinating and then they'll have a great time :db LOL:LOL: Was wondering how Chippy was going to manage that ice castle at bude I: LOL:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I can say that the biggest factor barring folk attending meets is the perception that they'll be the only one there who doesn't know anyone else.

It's a tough one to have an answer for, but I've seen the same thing time and time again.

The only solution I've seen work (one we used to do when 'Club Polo' was in it's infancy) is that the organiser(s), along with a couple of other members, make a conscious effort to go up and introduce themselves to any new attendee and then make sure that new attendee is never left to fend for themselves during the meet/show.

If you just do a quick intro and then go off and speak to the people you already know, then that just reinforces this 'outsider' mentality for the new guy - so they tend not to bother again........

T:

10,824 Posts
Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I can say that the biggest factor barring folk attending meets is the perception that they'll be the only one there who doesn't know anyone else.

It's a tough one to have an answer for, but I've seen the same thing time and time again.

The only solution I've seen work (one we used to do when 'Club Polo' was in it's infancy) is that the organiser(s), along with a couple of other members, make a conscious effort to go up and introduce themselves to any new attendee and then make sure that new attendee is never left to fend for themselves during the meet/show.

If you just do a quick intro and then go off and speak to the people you already know, then that just reinforces this 'outsider' mentality for the new guy - so they tend not to bother again........

T:
this was the whole reason we started up the exeter meets again with our own special brand of organisation, the experience that a couple of us had at previous meets wasn't encouraging to say the least! this is why on the very first new meets we had I made sure that everyone was introduced to each other. As a group now we have a laugh regardless of numbers (or veichle) and even though numbers are never massive we have a laugh T:

i have noticed unfortunately at some events the exact thing you describe happens and individual groups stay on their own, I suppose that will always happen at the larger events though :(

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I think its also a case of it seeming a bit anoraky and a perception of us all talking technical stuff.

Like dan said, we have the exeter meets to have a good time and a laugh. The megameet and bude were an extention of these regional meets, which came about after a few of us suggested trying to get our areas together T:

And yes, my 'special charcoal' helps the vibe of the event (and face dan! Love you really mate) LOL:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your comments people, Feelin a lot better now lol.

When I took over as reg rep I pm'd nearly 600 local members and only four replied.

I'll just keep plodding on.

Thanks again peeps.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I started just over a year ago and the first thing I did was set the meet as the same day each month, so people know when it is.

I set up a new meets thread page with loads of details and welcoming words.

Use my signature as advertising and links to send them to the meets thread page.

I set up a new forum email so I can send reminder emails out, have about 40 now that get emails from me each month, also in sig, this also means I hit the members that don't come on the forum so much.

I loiter in the new members sections and when I see newbies from my area I send them a pm and post in their thread.

I've also being know to stop and knock on peoples doors who have vans outside here house I:

Also just had these made up and I give members a hand full to hand out as well.

When I started there was 3 of us at the meets, now I have an average of 8 to 10 vans with my max being 18 vans and that was on a cold Feb night :cool: I also probs have a new member at every meet A:

I sure you do most of this stuff but just what I do :ILU:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts