VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 T4 California Exclusive 2.5 TDi
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just collected my van last weekend and I noticed that the smoked rear indicators are white and not the standard orange.

Does anyone know the legality of what colour do my indicators need to be?
Im wondering if I need to swap to orange bulbs, and if so which ones

thanks
irishkeet:D

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
the lens is clear? or the lamp its self?

they should be yellow in color when flashing, stick your hazards on and check, if there white they need changing,

·
Registered
995 Posts
your indicatore have to be amber , but if you have smoked lights on you can buy amber bulbs from your local car part store like halfords ! T:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the lens is clear? or the lamp its self?

they should be yellow in color when flashing, stick your hazards on and check, if there white they need changing,
Hi ozymaster
lens are smoked as per the photo..

lights are definitely more white than orange, it just came in from Germany a couple of weeks ago, but passed an MOT here before I bought it!

your indicatore have to be amber , but if you have smoked lights on you can buy amber bulbs from your local car part store like halfords ! T:
Munch do you know what bulb I need?

thanks
irishkeet

·
Registered
995 Posts
when u go into halfords ask one of the geeky little shop assistants lol , its a single element one i think !? Dont quote me on that tho lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks will check and get some sorted

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can actually buy silver bulbs that light orange, if you can't see the bulb then it doesn't matter, just looks nicer if they are visible...
yep
I was looking at some on fleabay I uust need to check the bulb number/type before ordering

cheers

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just had a look at the back of my van, too dark now but how do you change the rear light bulbs?

cheers
irishkeet

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
its not straightforward on a westy on passenger side you have to open up rear locker and at the bottom there is a metal plate this has a thumbscrew which needs to be undone and lifted out then you should be able to remove the light cluster,
on drivers side you will need to lift up the mattress on the rear section and you will see a cut out in the near corner you need to put your hand down there to remove the light cluster,
Just be grateful your not fitting the lights them selves as a whole lot of stuff needs to be removed!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
surly the lights were checked on the mot?
you would think but I checked them again in the dark and they are definitely white:eek:
maybe german incicators are white?

its not straightforward on a westy on passenger side you have to open up rear locker and at the bottom there is a metal plate this has a thumbscrew which needs to be undone and lifted out then you should be able to remove the light cluster,
on drivers side you will need to lift up the mattress on the rear section and you will see a cut out in the near corner you need to put your hand down there to remove the light cluster,
Just be grateful your not fitting the lights them selves as a whole lot of stuff needs to be removed!!
thanks crosser, on the passenger side do you mean in the leisure battery cupboard.

going to get a thread started on Sunday with pics of the van spent a few days this week sorting headunit, speakers etc etc, want to keep an ongoing post of what Im up to:D

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
thanks crosser, on the passenger side do you mean in the leisure battery cupboard.
yeah it is the leisure battery cupboard but you dont need to go through all the hassle of getting to the battery,
when you open your tailgate on the left hand side you have a tall locker with 2 shelves in it the very bottom of that locker should be a metal plate that lifts up when you undo the screw.

it'll make sense in the daylight

looking forward to seeing your threadT:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I made the mistake last week of assuming an indicator bulb is a universal part. Imagine my embarrasment when they didn't fit.

A white is better than nothing but worth fixing as soon as I guess.

Dave

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks all
I went to have a look st my bulbs in my lunch hour today
Removing them from a westy is a pain, cant see a thing will have to wait until I get home and use a torch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts