VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so went in the van today after a few nights of heavy rain in usually sunny Swansea LOL: .... to find it was soaking wet. The carpet around the tailgate on the drivers side, from the floor to the roof (wetter at the floor). Under the threshold cover and the ply under the lino as far down as the wheel arch. I checked around the tailgate to see if it was maybe the new seal I fitted, but it was all dry :confused: I didn't think to take pics at the time, but these were taken when I'd dried it out - see the nice stains :(
Any ideas guys??

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
Have you checked the hole where the electrical cable feeds from the tailgate into the body at the roof? Crud and water pool below the grommeted bit of the cable cover it and can rust it into a nice hole for water to pour in... just a thought :ILU:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
if your carpet is tucked under the seals then it acts like a wick and draws water in . had same problem and trimmed it back . prob sorted . could be this ?
kieran

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the hole where the electrical cable feeds from the tailgate into the body at the roof? Crud and water pool below the grommeted bit of the cable cover it and can rust it into a nice hole for water to pour in... just a thought :ILU:
It was rusted where u suggested and I could see how water may be getting in. Sanded and sealed up - fingers crossed!

if your carpet is tucked under the seals then it acts like a wick and draws water in . had same problem and trimmed it back . prob sorted . could be this ?
kieran
Checked and there was also carpet that could have been too long and drawing water in, have trimmed it so it doesn't touch the end of the bodywork but is still slightly under the seal to look neat. Should this be ok?
Cheers for the replies T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts