VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this still and just about to start doing my first van conversion.
I'm looking at modifing some ikea kitchen cupboards as I see alot of people on here have done that and used them. I'm looking at just using van for weekends away or day trips etc, and I cant see a use for that tall cupboard alot of people have next to the RnR bed. I understand it has a high door to get access above the seat when up, but is this the only reason its high? Is it just an extra cupoard too?
Only reason why I ask is I think I can make do without this but would hate to realise I had forgot something major or useful in the summer when I could really do with it!!!
Any advice or pointers on what you people have realised or found out when carrying out your own fits or pro fits that would be very usefull so I can get the best use.
Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, when building my camper I wondered if I needed the cupboard you talk about and thought about leaving it out the build. I'm glad I didn't now because I used it to store my leisure battery at the bottom and with a shelf above the battery I use the remaining space to store my bedding. It also allows you to mount your zig unit, sockets etc on the side of the cupboard and I have mounted my mains consumer unit inside the cupboard as well. I have found after three years that you can never have enough storage space. I'm sure other prople will add their views and you can make a better decision then. Good luck with your build.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Sorry, no pics of it all completed.
Although it was completed some months ago. Here are the high gloss units, you can just about see i mounted my electics in the middle cupboard:ILU:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry to hi-jak the thread.... stoo, I see that you have cut your end panels to the contour of the van. Were they easy to cut without damaging the gloss finish? did you put tape or something on to protect it?

thanks
Jon

·
Banned
300 Posts
Sorry to hi-jak the thread.... stoo, I see that you have cut your end panels to the contour of the van. Were they easy to cut without damaging the gloss finish? did you put tape or something on to protect it?

thanks
Jon
put masking tape on and use down cutting jigsaw blades prefably a router

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Got one of the chipies at work to do the two final cuts on the high gloss end panels as they are the most important. We used a 2k panel saw. Hope this helps budT:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, that makes sense, sounds like its best if I include one of them tall cupboards too then. And love all them pics posted too, great inspiration, sounds like I have quite a bit of cutting up to do too.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Thanks all, that makes sense, sounds like its best if I include one of them tall cupboards too then. And love all them pics posted too, great inspiration, sounds like I have quite a bit of cutting up to do too.
The units nearest the tailgate will require a lot of cutting down to fit the contour of the van. Just take your time, make templates using cardboard and buy some good quality wood glue to bond it all. Will help make it strong as possible.
Put up some pics when your doneT:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts