VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Kombi with a Kenwood DNX520VBT hu in and I want to fit a reversing camera to it . I get that I connect a camera to the video in but not sure how I get it to work when I select reverse. Will it all be done through the unit or will I need to splice into the reverse light wire ?
Cheers all Smiffy

·
Registered
809 Posts
On my unit there is an earth for the camera circuit which should be connected to a reverse circuit earth so when reverse is selected I think it provides an earth for the camera video display power on the unit. It is wired this way so you can't watch it when driving as that may not be legal?(ie reverse only) So in theory any earth will do, if just want to connect it to test. At the camera end there is the video lead which connects to the head unit, a supply lead for the camera which needs a 12v supply (reverse light cct ?) and an earth for the camera supply.

That is how mine works I think, currently in the middle of fitting it, it was a sod to fit the camera in the number plate light slot on the barn door so still needs connecting up.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Most that I have fitted need a 12v input into a dedicated wire to activate the screen. This can be supplied through a simple switch so the user has absolute control over it, or you take the 12v from the reverse lighting circuit or switch. The negative in above post is normally grounded through the handbrake to prevent video being watched on the move. Most decide to just ground it anyway...

Look at your headunit wiring diagram, it should tell you which wire to input 12v into to display the camera av input

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most that I have fitted need a 12v input into a dedicated wire to activate the screen. This can be supplied through a simple switch so the user has absolute control over it, or you take the 12v from the reverse lighting circuit or switch. The negative in above post is normally grounded through the handbrake to prevent video being watched on the move. Most decide to just ground it anyway...

Look at your headunit wiring diagram, it should tell you which wire to input 12v into to display the camera av input
Cheers gents thanks for the info

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
My camera's still in the box. The kenwood goes into veiw mode when reverse is selected but obviously no picture!lol
Any1 near Wolves fancy fitting it?T:
Passing by you on Monday if you want it fitting?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Martyn, missed ya! I'm all over the place for work but could do with getting to meet you with a list of things for you to do as I have no idea! (I'm an electrician, but Auto means nothing to me!):confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts