VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about it and thinking about it and have decided to have ago at doing the cambelt on the Velle (2.5 petrol (AAF) auto. I also need to change the powersteering pump and its belt too.

I've got the parts: 1 x timing belt kit from VW, 1 x powersteering belt and pump.

What else do I need, along with any special tools required, like this Crankshaft locking tool???

Any guides too?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've got the parts: 1 x timing belt kit from VW
Does this contain the belt and tensioner pulley? If so, I think that should be fine. I think your water pump is driven off the alternator belt rather than the back of the cambelt, but if it's the latter, it's always a good idea to change the water pump too. If the water pump's driven off the cambelt and it siezes for any reason, then it's likely to throw the cambelt off and cause major damage.

What else do I need, along with any special tools required, like this Crankshaft locking tool???
You need to be able to lock the crankshaft and camshaft when the belt is off and you need a tool to release/apply the belt tensioner. It's possible to make your own tools to do it or you can buy them from any motor factor.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this contain the belt and tensioner pulley? If so, I think that should be fine. I think your water pump is driven off the alternator belt rather than the back of the cambelt, but if it's the latter, it's always a good idea to change the water pump too. If the water pump's driven off the cambelt and it siezes for any reason, then it's likely to throw the cambelt off and cause major damage.
Yer, the water pump is driven by the cambelt.....so I will need a waterpump + adapter as apparently the pump has changed slightly...oh well another £60+ to spend.

You need to be able to lock the crankshaft and camshaft when the belt is off and you need a tool to release/apply the belt tensioner. It's possible to make your own tools to do it or you can buy them from any motor factor.
I went to GSF and asked and they said they are not sure if they can get hold of a crankshaft lock for the AAF engine as its not common :confused: :*

Thanks again Gills T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts