VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an interesting one this, i bought my van back when i was living in Newquay and also did most of the mods back then. obviously down there, a modded T4 is the thing to be seen in and it got lots of respect. however, since moving up to Lyneham i have been branded by work mates as a 'chav' of the worst order and had people taking the **** out of my van to my face aswell as pointing and laughing from other drivers. it's got even worse since i fitted my bra.
does anyone else suffer from this? of course, i'm not letting it affect me as i'm building it for me, not anyone else but being called a chav is a step too far! it's a veedub van for christ sake, not a Saxo!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,

My mates think i'm Mad ...Why do you need that they ask, your a woman get a car you dont look right in it..I tell's them its my passion wagon:cool: and my son tells me I'm Gay :eek:.

Aly ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
The guys at work either love the van or think I'm some mad wierd hippie type bloke (probably not to far from the mark I:)

As for my neighbours & the rest of the world, I couldn't honestly care, I love my van!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think you're probably right....most people see van owners as weird. Most of my work colleagues think I'm Mr T with the van from the A Team. And very few people understand why I would want to go to a field and sleep in it:eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
t's a veedub van for christ sake, not a Saxo!
Trouble is though, some T4s look like giant Saxos to me and I drive a T4
I think it's those multiple exhausts, shelby stripes, hooge wheels and smoked windows that do it though. Some people go a bit OTT I:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trouble is though, some T4s look like giant Saxos to me and I drive a T4
I think it's those multiple exhausts, shelby stripes, hooge wheels and smoked windows that do it though. Some people go a bit OTT I:
I agree...I think subtle is cool...it's so easy to get carried away and end up with a 'big saxo'

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I honestly don't give a **** what `normal' people think of my van, except to respect it & not treat it like a work tool (dinging it in carparks & walking away)
On the subject of modded vans (externally), my van has blacked out side windows, a black strip to cover the green (ex AA), a twin side exit exhaust & clear indicators. Nothing too out there. I do respect the heavily modded vans though. The time & money spent on them alone is amazing!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Most think it's great, get funny looks off people in the street though when I blast it, they look round to see this sports car and see .... white van man, main thing, I like it , my wife likes it, my kids love it and my daughter prefers a lift to school in the velle to the 'smelly' volvo v40.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
brilliant question! I've always had a van, i passed my test and got into a 1986 velle. The other kids at school used to take the ****, but once i painted it blue as opposed to gold they came round. the lads at work were the same at first asking whats the point? But soon they came round.

Its that monday morning question, whate did you do at the weekend? I,d tell them where we'd been what we'd done etc. They had blown a weeks wages in the pub! Now they ask where i went at the weekend.YTH GHH

For me thats what its about, getting away from normal life, be it in a pub car park for the night just me and the wife or with 10 other vans camping in a field and drinking tea.

I don't really care what the normals think, we are happy thats what matters.

·
Registered
306 Posts
well said jurrasic! each to their own..who cares what people say or think as long as your happy with it//we all have choices in life...soRasp: to the knockers of the world...live the life and enjoyT:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Most of the people i know think i drive a sweet van Rasp:
But i did sell the wife's toy car because of the **** i got from mates and the looks i got driving it when she took my van off me from time to time LOL: have a look and you will see why LOL: mine is the red one .
[/IMG]
To make my life better i got her a cool car to drive and i do not mind driving it when she takes my van off me :(
This is her new toy with a bit of street cred and a bit more power LOL:
[/IMG]
As far as your work mates go if they don't get your van sod the lot of them and keep up the good work :ILU:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
my wife thinks i'm weird, but she thought that anyway, buying the van just confirmed it, my little girl loves it to bits to the point she wants to sleep in it on the drive!

my mates thought i was weird untill we went to croyde and they had tents and i had the v large rock and roll bed to lounge around on. as for others, peoples opinions don't really matter to me, if they did i'd shave off the ginger beard that seems to keep appearing on my face!

i bought the van for me and my family to enjoy and also to learn a bit about modding which i've never done before but am starting to enjoy hugely.T:T:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I honestly don't give a **** what `normal' people think of my van, except to respect it & not treat it like a work tool (dinging it in carparks & walking away)
On the subject of modded vans (externally), my van has blacked out side windows, a black strip to cover the green (ex AA), a twin side exit exhaust & clear indicators. Nothing too out there. I do respect the heavily modded vans though. The time & money spent on them alone is amazing!
totally agree with you there mate i spotted a lambrette a year or 2 back now iam not into them Eg i ride power monster 12bandits but i have the respect/time for those who have put a hell of alot of time/passion & of coarse brass in doing all the chrome/gold plate & the amazing air brush work,,i had a good old natter with the owner sound guy & he kinda had the "what I think" the vw/biker attitude Eg: respect the effort of others work thats gone into "Your" creation,,,i ride streetfighters & look @ how much **** gets thrown at us "Too Load Too Fast" my way of thinking is live & let live T: & ******** to what other folk think there only jealous

·
Registered
795 Posts
brilliant question! I've always had a van, i passed my test and got into a 1986 velle. The other kids at school used to take the ****, but once i painted it blue as opposed to gold they came round. the lads at work were the same at first asking whats the point? But soon they came round.

Its that monday morning question, whate did you do at the weekend? I,d tell them where we'd been what we'd done etc. They had blown a weeks wages in the pub! Now they ask where i went at the weekend.YTH GHH

For me thats what its about, getting away from normal life, be it in a pub car park for the night just me and the wife or with 10 other vans camping in a field and drinking tea.

I don't really care what the normals think, we are happy thats what matters.
totally agree with ya mate, since havin the van i cant think of a weekend where we havnt been somewhere or done something in/with the van, just love it T:

·
Registered
297 Posts
i bought my van no knowing about the whole "t4 scene" when i joined the forum i wanted to start improving the van instead of just using it with the basic conversion i'd fitted. since the respray i get a lot more respect from others and smiles from those i pass who notice the love bus graphics. nowadays "normal people" are all really positive about the van the only people i get stick from about my bus are on ere.

·
Registered
431 Posts
mate... im 18 live near okehampton got a van i get the **** taken outta me all the time from saxo :* etc etc but i wanted indervilualty (hower u spell it) i surf nearly everyday and a car just wasnt me so basiclly i think there jelious the way i see it as is basiclly :* them and what they think vans are the future and are better then cars.

keep going mate, i amT:

Harley

1 - 20 of 36 Posts