VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow T5'ers,

Just fitted my new 20"s to the van and was after your opinions on the over all look so far?

It's as 2.5 174 T30. The previous owner colour coded the bumpers and had the rear spoiler fitted. The bumbers weren't smoothed out so i wasn't happy with the finish, plus I prefer the look of the 'velle front bumper.

After checking ebay and every other site I could find I went for it and paid out for one from VW, not as pricey as I thought. The front spoiler is from Van-X and has been fitted and all sprayed up by my brothers neighbour in Swindon, whom also smoothed out colour coded the rear bumber and the little plastic corner bits below the rear lights. It has been lowered 40mm on H&R springs and I fitted the 20" Cruize alloys yesterday and had them lazer alligned this morning.

I'm running the 235/35 tyres and from advice gained from the this forum I use a 40psi as its reported to provide the best/even tyre wear. I also find the ride quite comfortable and no where near to harsh.

I know your all going to mention the front grill. I bought the Exploria grill but they tell me it needs to be bonded to the front bumper. I'm not overly keen on that as it would be a right effort removing the bumber just to get behind the grill. The new grill has had black mesh fitted and all colour coded but am thinking of getting rid of it and looking for something else. Watch this space.

The only other exterior changes in the near future will be side bars (with out steps) and the chequer plate rear bumber protector. Long term is Kombi conversion and color coded door handles etc.

Thanks for looking and your opionions, sugestions are most welcome

Some before and after pics below if it has worked like I hoped.

cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
Watch the chequer plate on the rear bumper. After fitting, mine was high enough to shave the paint off the bottom of the tailgate. Gone to helicopter tape now.

Van looks really neat by the way....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch the chequer plate on the rear bumper. After fitting, mine was high enough to shave the paint off the bottom of the tailgate. Gone to helicopter tape now.

Van looks really neat by the way....
I know exactly what you mean. There was a chequer plate protector on there before which has taken some of the paint from the tailgate but it was stuck on with double sided sticky tape. I'm thinking of sacking the tape and riveting the new one down so it will be slightly lower.

I just really like the look of the chequer plate, maybe I'll have to look about and get one made up from a thinner chequer plate.

Thanks for your comments and advice though.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Your van is very smart!

I like it when it looks very simple and subtle.

I will keep coming back to look at your progress.

Rob

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your comments.

I'm already looking for side bars so which one do I want? :confused:

Fat/Thin/with steps/with out steps/flat ends/rounded ends/angled ends/ends that disapear under the van/black capped ends/solid bars/tubes it ges on and on and on?!?!?!?!

Any one recomend a good, nice fitting set of bars with a price/link and possible a pic

Then there is the grill. Very open on that at the minute, what do yoiu think will suit? Links, prices and pics if at all possible

cheers guys

Thor

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thor
I bought the genuine ABT front grille from germany through www.t5-board.de and it was an easy fit with no bonding, it was dear but completely changes the front of the vehicle.
Landy

Landy, that is deffo the look im after, thanks for the link!

I dont speak, read or understand german in any way at all so will have a proper go at ordering one on the weekend.

How exatly does it fit on? I'm guessing clips are needed around the bottom? Did you get clips supplied with it? How much was postage to the UK etc?

I have just warned my mate off that he will be spraying for me again soon!!:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick up date.

Not to much gone on really as have had to spend out on my motorbike (falling off can be quite expensive) also my chimney started to leak, so that of course needed sorting..£££££ :(

Though I have ordered my side bars, which came with free rear corner bars. I'm not to sure how they will look on a silver van :confused:. Have seen them on a black one and it looked the nuts. Any ways I should have them fitted next weekend at the latest.

I've also been chatting with Dazboi1 and will be having a service, cruise control and a complete sportline grill which will hopefully be the exterior done for the winter, leaving me time to save up some pennies for the Kombi conversion.

I'll get some more pics up once the side bars are fitted.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, Nice rims!! A:

You planning on lowering it?

I have got the full stainless bars on now and am well happy with the look. Still not got round to getting the grill done yet. Though hoping to get it booked in next month for full service etc and collect sportline grill then!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
T:T:

I like the front spoiler mate was it easy to fit?

The van looks good!
Cheers mate,

Yeah the spoiler was dead easy to fit and I am far from a DIY guru. It came with rivets but my mate gave me some proper bonding to use. I think it's called flexi bond or something like that. You literally line it up so its straight, mark the bumper, sand down both sides to its rough for the flexi bond to stick to. Then Glue it on, use the rivets to pull it in tight, and couple of large clamps to keep it all in place until it dries. Job done.

It's a 2 person job as you obviously want it straight and its a bit long to do on your own.

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
Hi Ryan Hope to see the mods you've done at the meet on Wednesday if you're going?
Got the leg out of fram now:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should be there, work depending mate. I never know what Im working till the day before...if I'm lucky!

Out of the frame is good! Still on the crutches though yeah? You going up in your van this time?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts