VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Caravelle SE and I'd like to pop in a SAT NAV/DVD/CD/ipod player. It not quite a blank cheque affair but I'd rather spend a few quid and get something that does the job well.

Oh yeah, it will need to have bluetooth functionalitly and be compatible with the new G3 iphone too. And in an idal world I would be able to wire it up to a reversing camera and a drop down DVD screen in the back.

Anyone got any recommendations of what to buy, where to buy it from and how to get it installed?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Kenwood's seem to be popular and I believe they have Garmin sat nav in them rather than some other makes which are "own brand". They seem to start from around £600 double din touch screen, but you'll need a facia fitting kit for £35 and maybe a wiring adaptor for few pounds more. Be aware that the T5 screen radio reception seems pretty average on the factory radio and worse on aftermarket stuff. Also the cheaper Kenwoods will need a bluetooth adaptor to pick up the phone.

I have toyed with the idea of getting one myself but to be honest I don't find the operating system on any of the aftermarket stuff as good as the factory ones you find in other VW cars such as the Golf or Passat, I guess I'm waiting until I find one that's as user friendly, plus at the moment the decision is either an integrated satnav or a set of Sportline wheels & tyres. All I know is that I disslike the steel wheels much more than I disslike the factory radio !! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
the jvc double din is a direct fit for the t5 and will not need a facia adapter or wiring interface and it is i phone comptable where as the earlier kenwood isnt, plus it has a bigger screen at 7" thats the one i went for anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fitted a Kenwood myself & does all the things you would want-but it was over £1k! oh & the radio reception is still ****

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stuck up in th mountains most of the time anyway so radio is pretty poor.
  • Any idea which kenwood?
  • Did 1K get you a drop down screen in the back or was that just for the dash mounted unit?
  • You say you installed it yourself, is that possible for someone like me who has no electrical knowledge or patience?

·
Registered
804 Posts
hi Dave i have a pioneer flip screen if you would like to have a look, and wiring of head units are a doodle. you don't need to be an electrician, i can give you some tips.

i will be at the vansurf show at black rock sands first weekend in October if you want to pop down and have a look, there should be one or two others there for you to nose around to.T:

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI

Fitted an alpine ixa 404 recently. never had alpine before but am really very impressed.
Works seemlessly with my ipod and also itouch and is great for watching movies too that are stored on the ipod.
Fitted reversing camera and that automatically switches when in reverse gear.
Is compatible with screens in the back and you can even have different music/videos playing on each screen.
I know the basic unit is about £400 and you do have to add bluetooth add-on, (i just connected my existing bluetooth kit and cuts out the music when calling) also the sat nav add-on is fairly pricey but works well.
The other thing is that it looks as good as it sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked that one out and it says it won't play DVDs or CDs. Probably not a big deal - especially if I can play mp4 movies off the pod.

Where did you buy yours from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts