VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just about to book getting my cambelt done

been using the search function and found a couple of mentions about a bottom pulley.

when getting replaced would you advise getting this replaced and also the waterpump?

is there anythig else worth doing when doing this job.

im going to get a service aswell

van is 2.5tdi 90k

ive had a few quotes today but any reccomendations on places would also be great

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
waterpump definately and new coolant to go with it,use G12++ vw coolant its the best stuff for it.If the bottom pulley is showing signs of the rubber splitting then have that replaced while its off for the belt to be done! There are a couple of 0 ring oilseals on the bottom of the oil filler extension that usually leak so replace them whilst its off too!

RK engineering where i work charge £385 for both belts and tensioners and waterpump including coolant and VAT.We always use genuine parts tooT:

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks for reply
so best asking for just tensioners and waterpump and only get pulley done if showing signs of wear
where is it you work im in bristol?

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
St.Agnes in cornwall mate,bit far to go for a cambelt i know but you could have a couple of nights down here and book a courtesy car for the day im doing your belt....
There are two belts one for the camshaft from the crank and one from the camshaft to the pump,two tensioners and one static idler,new bolt is needed in the crank pulley because they stretch and a diamond grip washer to stop the bottom pulley coming loose,waterpump and coolant.Best to ask your garage to use genuine parts

Of subject but did you use anything to accelerate the corrosion on your bare metal bonnet?
I just done a spare one i had for my mk1 golf cab and i want it rusty for this weekend,been spraying it with salty water hoping for a quicker rustupI:

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes bit to far cornwall for a cambeltI:

shame tho as you obviously sound the like the man to do itT:

bonnet >>

once stripped right back i got an old bottle of window cleaner and filled with water and salt

just kept spraying with solution

bonnet did rust within a day but very unevenly

i had to keep sanding back the rusty areas to metal until all areas had rusted

once it had all rusted i took the bonnet back to metal again just lightly by hand bonnet was still rusty when finished

then soaked in solution one more time and then it took about 2 hours and just came up bright orange.

wished i could of kept it like that but i had to lacquer

looks real nice up close though (some will disagree, gets a very mixed opinion)

looks like leather

if you start it now it will def rust by weekend just may not rust the way you want it too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts