VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2348 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought, this might be a good thread to keep things a bit active around here.

For a start, I was in Donegal today, to buy a Syncro drivetrain for my Caravelle. A whole car came attached to it :)

Bit messy inside, but it means I'll have spareparts galore for a while. The van is a Transporter TDI, same year and engine as mine.

This type of thread works very well on other forums and lets others on the board follow the progress. Anything goes. Doesn't matter if it's significant or not.

/M

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cool.... I was thinking of doing the same myself. I dont suppose though you can tell me if it will work with a 2.4 ?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool.... I was thinking of doing the same myself. I dont suppose though you can tell me if it will work with a 2.4 ?
Yes. What you need is to find a 2.4 syncro. The gearbox is not the same as the 2.5 one. Propshaft and rear-axle should be the same. I have a 2.4D syncro, that I scrapped, but the gearbox of it is buggered and the front driveshafts have been recycled to be used in another van. Propshaft and rear axle are still there I think.

There a guy in Germany that did the transplant. Met him at Vanfest last year. And as he stated, all the mounts etc. are there. All you do is drop the sparewheel and mount the Syncro drivetrain in.

my mates got a syncro van, got a tune on aswell so it oes very well, especially in the snow!
I used to have an ex-ESB T4 Syncro TDI and I absolutely loved it. That's why I want to convert mine.

/M

·
Registered
78 Posts
I finally got round to fitting my new dash speakers, so with luck will now have stereo sound... :) I still need a new head unit through, but I have decided to wait and buy a decent unit with bluetooth, bells and whistles in the summer! Tomorrow, I plan to start putting a new bulkhead in... yep, I'm putting a new one in!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Caravelle passed it's NCT today. 2 years and 3 months before I have to look at those shenanigans again.

/M

·
Registered
303 Posts
re routed the eberspacher outlet this afternoon, i mounted a unit over the heater a while back which meant the inlet was pulling in warm air so reducing the heater output with the back of the van still a bit chilly, hopefully sorted now, just waiting for a cold night to test the job.:)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have put my Saab 9-5 seats in, Changed the brake light bulb that was blown, added a high level brake light under the spolier and Black waxed the bumpers....

Think thats about it for todayT:T:

Paul:ILU:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bought air and fuel filter yesterday also got an engine cleaner so thats been added.

Gonna fit the filters today and check where the hole has developed in my exhaust...... hope its a small hole that I can weld up there and then.

·
Formerly known as marcus250
871 Posts
Had a fight with my van! Not today but yesterday...tried to loosen mega tight sump nut and BANG, the nut suddenly came loose and slammed my hand into the van and crushed by the breaker bar i was using! I quietly said 'oh dear that hurt' and now have a huge bandage on my finger! Van 1-0 Me :(

Will change oil another day! T:

·
Registered
95 Posts
just bought an intercooler, can't wait to get it fitted and get a new remap, have had induction kit, twin pipe exhaust, decat, and egr blank since first remap.A:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stripped the rear out, to get the rail system for the center seats and the hinges for the table welded in.

Starting with this:

A good bit of rust, where the bolts are in the floor. I'll have to take care of that, too, when I'm at it

Job done

/M

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got fed up with having to jumpstart the Caravelle in the mornings (due to shagged battery) and bought a 100Ah battery for my Velle.

Just waiting for the wind to calm off, so I can open the bonnet without having to fear, that it flies away.

/M

1 - 20 of 2348 Posts