Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
am fitting out a new camper and wanted some advice on what heater to get
do i go for gas or diesel and why ????

thanks for you r help

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Diesel as gas will kill you with the fumes. I naively got a widgey gas heater and thought there we go but didnt think about the certain death to follow. Go electric oil filled rad on hook up or deisel but diesel is pricy!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Much of a muchness I believe mate.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Eberspacher for us, it just sips diesel just 0.1litre per hour. We chose diesel rather than gas as we will always have fuel for it. We camped a couple of weeks ago and were as warm as toast. It warms the van so quickly we don't see need for remote start. On frosty mornings it is not a chore to pop out and push one button to start the heater for an hour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went for Eberspacher, that way I don't need to carry extra gas and I'll aways have plenty of diesel.T:

After a SUP session it's nice to come back to a nice hot, toasty van and then get changed:ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Any one go a approx cost of a Eberspacher Airtronic supplyed and fitted ??
And how long we talking to fit one day ?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
We tend to fit eberspacher diesel heaters. You have limited room for gas on board, and a propex will quckly go through gas when its being used a lot - with diesel, you are not going to notice a litre or so and you have a lot more room for extra in your tank;). Diesel heaters can be readily used when on the move which is an added bonus to rear seat passengers.
I have fitted diesel and propex, but my preference even given the price difference, is an eberspacher. It also fits neatly under the drivers seat leaving your precious space under the bed for storage.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
+1 for the eberspacher.

Also - I have the 7day central-heating type timer for it, so it comes on 20minutes before I leave for work.. so walk down the drive to a toasty and de-iced van.. lovely!

·
aka...The Chaos
256 Posts
Our propex is under the drivers seat aswel and a 6kg propane bottle lasted a week in upto -30 Austria new year and we didn't turn it off at all in the week, yes I'd probably have diesel if money was no object but at four hundred pound more didn't seem viable at the time to us

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
another plus 1 for the eber . minus 7 in the Brecon Beacons last weekend toasty in the van T:

·
Registered
518 Posts
had propex for 3 years now never had a problem and doesnt use that much gas, after all most campers will have a gas bottle for the cooker anyway T:

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have an lpg propex heatsource 2000 located beneath the drivers seat (for about 2 years) It heats the van fast even with the roofs up. I have read these heaters use loads of gas but I haven’t noticed that. It is a tad on the noisy side though and I believe overpowered for the space it heats. Even fiddling with the thermostat it is hard to get the temp right. These are used on boats and larger motorhomes and to me it seems abit all or nothing heat wise but then these vans really arent that big inside even the LWB LOL:

When I was looking the cost of a propex fitted was a lot less than purchasing and having fitted a diesel erber etc, By my working out even though the diesel heaters are loads more efficient than the propex (and quiter I think too) i would have to use it a hell of a lot to justify the additional expense. Yearly servicing costs about £40 (required for my insurance) but I know the engineer. As it happens I have used it alot less than i thought i would as the van is well insulated (sheeps wool ) so I haven’t needed it that often.

One thing I would consider is how much camping you intend to do or do without a hook up (Do you go for Gucci C&C club sites or on the most out of the way place you can like myself). If you are likely to have a hook up when it is cold I would spend a few quid on an electric fan heater or small oil rad as having used them previously they do the job well. If I know I am hook up I take a little fan heater to get the most out of the elecy I am paying for I:

Happy camping T:

wev

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
We tend to fit eberspacher diesel heaters. You have limited room for gas on board, and a propex will quckly go through gas when its being used a lot - with diesel, you are not going to notice a litre or so and you have a lot more room for extra in your tank;). Diesel heaters can be readily used when on the move which is an added bonus to rear seat passengers.
I have fitted diesel and propex, but my preference even given the price difference, is an eberspacher. It also fits neatly under the drivers seat leaving your precious space under the bed for storage.
Ed need to book you to fit mine
Give you a ring next week

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Webasto Air Top 2000 mounted under the vehicle, no space taken up in the van and it's very quiet, great heater.

I believe the same can be done with the Airtronic d2

1 - 20 of 33 Posts