VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been given temporary custody of a 2.4 litre diesel but non turbo Long wheel base 1998 VW transporter converted (ish) to a camper. The owners have been posted abroad, and we have had it since August.

We hadn’t used it for about 7 weeks, but in anticipation of a long trip, took it out for a short trip – I was gratified by how readily it burst into life after a long rest, but 2 days later when it was time to load-up for our trip – Nothing, completely dead, not even enough power to move the windscreen wipers back to park. (at this point I discovered that my battery booster had died too!)

I connected-up the battery charger, and did a thorough check for anything that might have been left on that might have drained the battery – Nothing. We took my defender instead (which broke down 150 miles from home)

2 days later having left my ‘intelligent’ charger on the battery (still connected and in-place) for the duration, I was dismayed to find the battery was even flatter (not that I thought that was possible) - there were no digital displays or instrument lights.
I now (sensibly) removed the battery and gave it a good charge, It’s a high capacity, quality item and 3 days on the charger seemed to do the trick.

Then rather than re-fit it, I connected it via Jump Leads and a multimeter and discovered that ‘something’ was drawing 0.8 to 0.75 amps.

This is with everything off, cabin locked – keys in my pocket. I them noticed a faint whirring noise, rather like a small fan – they came on and off as the leads were connected. Subsequent investigation identified the source as somewhere behind the engine, towards the bulkhead, BUT the noise could not be heard from inside the vehicle, (even when sticking head by steering wheel / dash)

Much more gratifying was the way (after the battery was re-connected) the engine burst into life, and continued to burst into life, as I cycled it on and off in celebration of my ‘intelligent’ charger having ‘saved’ the valuable battery.
Growing bored of this, I sloped off in search of a more liquid celebration , but not before disconnecting the battery.

My question is this:

what is causing the 0.8 to 0.75 amps draining the battery, (I assume it’s the Whirring noise) why has it started now, and what should I do about it?

Thank you

·
Registered
432 Posts
I currently have an identical problem on my 1.9td, I think it is a pump that usually runs to cool the engine for a bit after you switch the engine off running continuously because of a knackered temperature sensor. I have been pulling out fuse no 19 a couple of hours after the van has been switched off and in the morning the battery has been fine again. My van is booked into VW to have it looked at and sorted on Friday at a cost of £169. I think it may be an easy job to do yourself though. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought a new temp sensor from ebay as my gauge wasn't working, fitted the sensor but no change to the gauge. The last couple of days have noticed the battery getting flatter and more difficult to start the van. Just checked and found mine the same with a whirring sound with everything switched off. Pulled the plug off to the sensor and it has stopped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I currently have an identical problem on my 1.9td, I think it is a pump that usually runs to cool the engine for a bit after you switch the engine off running continuously because of a knackered temperature sensor. I have been pulling out fuse no 19 a couple of hours after the van has been switched off and in the morning the battery has been fine again. My van is booked into VW to have it looked at and sorted on Friday at a cost of £169. I think it may be an easy job to do yourself though. :)
Hi,
Did you get your van repaired ? Interested to see what them problem was.
Cheers Gareth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts