1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 1999 beloved 2.5 tdi swb van.

well it was ..:confused:

When you switch of the engine a fan keeps on running.
(It's not the cooling fans for the radiator) the engine does not even need to be warm.
The only way to stop this fan is to disconnect the battery.
Not so good for girl friend

This fan is connected to a small outlet box and pipe located by the front lefthand wheel.
Might be different on some models .. mines a lefthand drive

see picture below.. yep that is snow on the ground

any ideas .. pls
if only what this box and pipe connects too.

Jc

·
Registered
432 Posts
:ILU:That looks like an night heater exhaust like they have on lorries have you got any extra controls in the van?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I have one of these on my Westy. It is an eberspacher engine heater. Basically if the temperature is low outside (not sure what temp), when you start your van up this will also start up. It burns diesel from the tank and is designed to heat the water in the cooling system faster so that the engine heats up to normal running temperature faster.

This is not a night heater however. If it will not switch off at all without disconnecting the battery, it sounds like it has a fault on the temp sensor. If it is running, there will be diesel fumes and heat coming out of the little exhaust pipe in the nearside wheel arch as shown in your photo.

Are you sure it is the engine heater though??? I had a problem with my van where the battery kept on going flat. I could hear a constant whirring sound coming from low down on the right side of the engine (as you look at it with the bonnet up) right by the engine heater. It turned out to be a knackered temperature sensor on the front of the engine. The whirring was a temperature equalising pump which is designed to circulate water in the cooling system after the engine has been turned off to equilibrate the temperature so that hot spots are avoided. The sensor is a variable transistor (I think) which makes the run-on pump spin faster when its hotter and as it cools it slows down until the temperature is cool enough for it to stop.

I hope this is helpful and aids you getting the problem sorted out T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick reply.
It does not shutdown sometimes for at least 30mins
ive not let it go on any longer.
Ive looked at some old posts and they mention a pump or fan under the bottom of
the rad that is connected to a sensor on the side of the engine. Wether this is connected to
that little box as well im not sure.

The usual proplem is when someone comes to take a look it does not do it.

Thanks again

Jc

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Are you sure it is that heater though? Can you feel / see exhaust gas coming out of the little silencer???

If not it could well be that run-on pump I mentioned before. The temperature sensors can stick and cause it to run permanently which is what happened to mine. The sensors are on the front of the engine to the left just above the diesel injectors. The are held in by a clip and have a rubber 'O' ring on them to seal the water in. For how cheap they are, I'd replace them anyway (use genuine parts though - I bought mine from somewhere else and they were broken as new!) so at least you know its not them.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Right. I dont know where the thermostat is for the diesel heater I'm afraid. That is going to be a case of tracing the wiring loom for it back to find the little bugger responsible. If you do find out where it is, could you post a picture of where it is for future reference. Thanks and good luck T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will post an image when i find it. It might take a while it's a bit wet for lying under a van
at the moment.

Jc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a look for the sensor/s

5 Minute job to remove the sensor and get the part number.

30 minute job to remove the lower engine tray to find the O ring that
poped out while removing the sensor. All ways fun

Not sure wether this is the correct sensor that i need to replace.

028 906 081

Jc

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Had a look for the sensor/s

5 Minute job to remove the sensor and get the part number.

30 minute job to remove the lower engine tray to find the O ring that
poped out while removing the sensor. All ways fun

Not sure wether this is the correct sensor that i need to replace.

028 906 081

Jc
Thats a different sensor ( it's for the inlet manifold pressure I think). You need to look just above the alternator for the temp sensors.
Just a note.... the Eberspacher heater is automatic on some models (like mine). It runs on for a set time after the engine has stopped to cool down the heater unit itself.

Alan.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
it must be cold 5deg or lower is when heater is supposed to come on, thats on a cold engine, are you doing short runs were temp of engine not fully hot, the heater switches its self off once the temp of water is 75 deg i think, like it said previous it runs on when you switch ignition off if its still running to cool down, one of the sensors is the outside air temp, if you have vagcom you should be able to see if outside temp sensor is faulty, or if you have any erors on other senders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts