VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks, I had to remove the boot on the inner left CV joint on my AUTO 2012 T5.1.
I lost about 150ml of a thickish brown oil. I was surprised that the joint wasn't packed with grease.
Any suggestion as to what the oil is and how I can replenish it would be welcomed greatly!
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
The CV grease starts thick and ends up like that, at least it has on all of the CV joints I have replaced (not many). Buy some CV grease, pack half around the joint and put the rest in the boot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most cv boots/joints I've done have needed a certain weight of grease adding. Too much can lead to other problems.
It should be in the Haynes book I would have thought.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm with Benny. It can look a bit liquid especially if it's warm. You can buy CV joint grease at any car spares place. Don't pack the boot full. The joint itself should already be well greased so just add about as much as you can possibly scoop with two fingers. I can't tell you the exact amount in grams but all new CV boots come with a sachet of it so you can easily look it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to each of you. Bluezie, I hope you are not correct though.
I guess it's about 15 years since I did a CV joint on my old T3 and back then ALL CV joint grease was Moly and black (I guess it was that colour so you could see all the places you spread it!). I still have lots of it. I do see that some more modern CV joint greases are coloured differently ( blue, honey coloured and almost white) if youtube presenters are to believed, and Haynes shows a pale colour (unspecified quantity) so I can accept that what I lost may have been tripod CV joint grease. As far as I can see, quantities in kits vary from 80 to 90 to 100gm.
I can't find anything that tells me not to use Molybdenum disulphide in these tripod joints, but I can't find anything definitive either. As far as finding it in local stores, I am absolutely amazed that the non-Moly CV joint grease is not stocked by the major chains I usually use here in Australia, though it's in their catalogues.
I'll be out and about on Monday to see what I can find.
Thanks again for your responses folks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I personally have never come across CV joint grease that has turned to oil, mostly the opposite where it has dried out and gone hard, but as others have said, they've seen it happen.
Have you a picture of the oil / grease?

·
Registered
79 Posts
GKN Lobro don't use black Moly. It is a brown/honey coloured grease. I did an engine swap about a year ago and decided to renew the inner boots at the same time. The grease ran out like thick engine oil on both sides. Both tripods joints looked perfect. The O/S had done 390000 miles and the N/S 190000 miles, so it might have something to do with the age of the grease, but it was still doing its job. I packed both of the joints with CV grease from a reputable supplier and that was black moly.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I've seen it run out thin and a bit brown like Transparu says. Don't really know what causes it. I haven't come across the new CV joint greases either but I'm well out of date. My van has all original inner and outer joints and boots @ 16 years/118k. I used the black moly on my inner drive shaft splines the few times I have had them out over the years to check. The grease on those had almost dried out the first time I looked but I caught it in time so I check and repack them every 3 or 4 years or so. Despite all the towing I used to do the drive shafts have never stripped and although my 174 is not mapped I'm not afraid to whip it up a bit on occasions. 😎

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, again.
Well, I have done a lot of looking around. AND resorted to ordering a VW part. Problem is I do need both arms and legs to do the job!! No dealer in Australia has the VW product but it is available from the interstate warehouse. 2 days away.
It turns out that the lubricant IS a liquid ("self-slumping") grease and a brown/honey colour. It has little if any molybdenum as far as I can find but is a polyurea grease. Apparently some folk have used a John Deere Multipurpose SD Polyurea Grease rather than the VW original. I spoke with a Mobil expert who could not help, but he described the the type of product/knew it well apparently. One fellow referred to "self levelling" grease.

On the other hand it seems plenty have people simply use the molybdenum disulphide greases and I haven't found any admission of a problem afterwards. I'm just being super careful, I guess.
I'll put up a part number when I see it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just so you don't get worried, it will have the consistency of grease when new. I had to replace one of my drive shafts (different reason) and removed N/S "cup" that pushes onto the stubshaft. The driveshaft was GKN Lobro ("genuine VW") and the joint was packed with a thick honey/ light brown grease. I guess this has now turned to liquid. The O/S is still packed with black moly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After poor treatment by a courier (can't go out as awaiting a Covid-19 test result), I received the grease. VW Part number G 052 186 A2. See pics.
When the rain stops I'll get the job finished.
Thanks again for all your comments/suggestions folks. This is what the community is about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts