VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

10 points to the first person to correctly identify what part of my engine I have just found in my sump and strainer?

Good luck and thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has your engine gone bang? Almost look like valves

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Just been remanufactured.... Not valves (I've worked it out but keep guessing - we might as well have some fun with this messed up situation) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I’ll tell you then. These are 3 of the 5 oil spray jets that shoot oil up into the cylinders from the bottom end.
0458C90B-49C7-4FC6-8E21-FCF3BAFFAC0A.jpeg
DC468F84-4726-40F9-917E-D0955422A604.jpeg
EAD1819B-0F6A-44CE-8986-20AD4EB3E513.jpeg

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Eesh😬 hope the engine builders put their hands up to it straight away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious. How did you find these?, why were you looking? was there abnormal noise?
Is the baffle plate intact?. I've seen 2 engines where the baffle cracked and a piece came loose. The broken piece rotated with the crankshaft and damaged the oil jet for piston cooling. Broken oil jet looked the same as your photo. Are the T45 retaining bolts still in position. Can you see any damage to the block where they mount.You will need to rotate the engine until you can view the broken jet.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
pistons have cutouts in their skirts to clear the jets, these are probably only on one position per piston and iirc there are 2 'sides' of pistons.

if the pistons are assembled in the 'wrong' cylinder they can clash with the oil spray jets....

iirc, theres 3 of one type & 2 of another type piston used to clear the sprays in a 5 cylinder engine (same with conrods as they may be slightly offset??)

Rich.

·
Super Moderator
9,113 Posts
The pistons are handed but the openings for the oil spray jets aren't. Any piston can go in any cylinder but it's the vavle reliefs are different. There is a difference in the pistons as some engines didn't have oil reliefs in them and tey had a different design to help with splash oil off the big ends to cool the skirts. even if the pistons were put in the opposite way around they wouldn't break the jets if the pistons had the oil drillings. The jets may not have been setup correctly when assembled.
How did you find them in the sump? as to see the jets or what's left the windage tray would have to be removed along with the oil pickup.

Reactions: hybrid800

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pistons are handed but the openings for the oil spray jets aren't. Any piston can go in any cylinder but it's the vavle reliefs are different. There is a difference in the pistons as some engines didn't have oil reliefs in them and tey had a different design to help with splash oil off the big ends to cool the skirts. even if the pistons were put in the opposite way around they wouldn't break the jets if the pistons had the oil drillings. The jets may not have been setup correctly when assembled.
How did you find them in the sump? as to see the jets or what's left the windage tray would have to be removed along with the oil pickup.
One came out of the sump plug hole! The other two I found stuck in the strainer in the pickup pipe.
The engine rebuild company have offered to send the new boiled yet to me but I would much rather the engine was fully inspected for damage. Who knows where those jet nozzles and it up and I can see what look like gear marks on one of them. To me, it looks like they were done at fingertips and whoever it was got distracted and didn’t torque them up.

i’m not that bothered about the fact that there is a problem with the workmanship, I’m just nervous that after paying all this money to get the engine remanufacturing I will basically not have the full benefit if there is any damage to the cylinders or head due to low oil pressure. My next step is to take the baffle plate off and get a borescope up inside there and check for any scoring. I should see some beautifully machined cylinders with honing marks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the baffle plate off and had a good look around. So I’ve lost the oil spray jets from cylinders 1 through 3, 4 & 5 look okay from a distance (and with oil in one eye 🙂 )
Cylinders 2 & 3 look doable in terms replacing the jets but the crankshaft damper below cylinder 1 is massively restricting access - does this come off in situ or is it crankshaft out?
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wondered whether when reinserting the piston and con rod assemblies back into the block, the guy dropped the pistons in and they clobbered the jets?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I just wondered whether when reinserting the piston and con rod assemblies back into the block, the guy dropped the pistons in and they clobbered the jets?
that would have been done with the sump off (IF its possible as the conrod would probably clash with the crankshaft if traveling tht far?) so if the jets were snapped then they wouldnt be in the sump now :unsure:

are the piston-cuttouts in the correct position relative to the jets position?

Rich.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that would have been done with the sump off (IF its possible as the conrod would probably clash with the crankshaft if traveling tht far?) so if the jets were snapped then they wouldnt be in the sump now :unsure:

are the piston-cuttouts in the correct position relative to the jets position?

Rich.
This was my first thought to, however, I’m not sure how to check this. I don’t have a point of reference and from what I can see there are holes in the underside of the piston head on both sides so if you rotated it 180° then it would still have a hole.
Do you know whether all of the pistons are the same part in the AXD engine?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts