VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
The battery on my 2010 T5.1 is finished, won't hold charge and goes up to 16.5 volts on charger as soon as it is connected.
I need a new one, VW quote £105 + VAT. Ebay have them, Bosch or Varta 61 AH delivered at around £70 -£80 pounds.
Any recommendations.
Thanks
number7

·
Registered
939 Posts
I’ve got Bosch on both mine. Got them from euro car parts when they have their weekly sale! No problems with either of them, got the biggest one that will fit in a T5 for my camper (110AH) just because it’s big and it fitted😀

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I fitted a Yuasa YBX5019 (a lot of sites may say it doesn't fit - it DOES!). It's a 100Ah battery but what's better is that it has 900CCA - cold cranking amps. It's this figure that counts - in laymans terms the higher it is the more oomph it's got to start the engine from cold. £95 from Tayna Batteries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello
The battery on my 2010 T5.1 is finished, won't hold charge and goes up to 16.5 volts on charger as soon as it is connected.
I need a new one, VW quote £105 + VAT. Ebay have them, Bosch or Varta 61 AH delivered at around £70 -£80 pounds.
Any recommendations.
Thanks
number7
I put a Bosch one on my 2004 Caravelle, was about £130. Don't think a battery is something to scrimp on !

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,212 Posts
I got 10 years out of my original Varta so I stuck with that make for the new one which has now done 7 years so far. I agree with the above, get the largest capacity that will fit especially if you are going to be doing any electrical modding.

Unless you have had the van since new don't trust the capacity of any battery that is fitted. You can check on PR code label what it left the factory with and go upwards from there if you want. I stuck with the original size because my van bog standard. You can decode the whole label on - PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

PRCode: J1U = Battery 450 A (95 Ah)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The van was new so it's the original. Too big a battery will be too heavy for me to lift.
It is a 5ko 915 105E. 61a 330 a din.
Has anyone a link to a reliable Ebay battery.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,212 Posts
That's a really small battery for a diesel. I'd say get something a bit bigger and some help because lifting those things over the slam panel is asking for something to pop!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,169 Posts
I fitted one of these in my VW LT - 019 Nordstar Car Battery - Alpha Batteries
£95 delivered to the door with a 5 year warranty (that is supported, unlike random eBay sellers)

works very well. last week when it was covered in snow I decided to try starting the van as it has not been moved or started since before Christmas.... Started on the turn of the key and this is a big 2.8L Diesel Engine, not a 1.9L jobby as well.
I'd get one again for sure :)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
What 64 Split and Bitter & Twisted said: Yuasa YBX5019, 900CCA, 100Ah. Fits fine. And bigger numbers are always better than smaller ones, in this and many other matters :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When you come to fit it, remove the plastic side-wall next to the battery. I think there's only two screws holding it in place and it makes it much easier to slide the battery in from the side and into place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts