VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now I'm new to the world of all things mobile broadband but fancied having the Internet whilst away camping in van , so off i trot to pc world and purchase a 3 mobile broadband dongle thing , all is good as i thought , t4 forum in my dry warm van trying to avoid wales's frequent liquid sunshine showers T:

anyway down in wales camping , wet and windy as per , i think , i know i'll plug in the dongle and have a scan of the tinternet so plugged it in and tried to connect only to find i have no signal . ive tried the darn thing in a couple of locations now but the reception seems to be rubbish ( 1 bar if your lucky ) now is it just me and the places ive tried to connect or is this what so called "mobile" broadband is like i.e r

i was thinking of trying vodafone as i almost always have a good single on my mobile . any advice from those in the know would be fantastic

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
All depends on signal I suppose... I think 3 share their network with T mobile, so perhaps not worth trying T mobile dongles.

and to make you feel really bad you can get 'free' 3 Dongles here. http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/

I got one , you pay £4.95 p&p but mine arrived in two days. I needed it as broadband backup in the house and the odd road trip.

Only downside with 3 I can see is that they take a week to register cards, but you can get online pretty quick by buying a voucher.

One thing, you could perhaps use your ordinary mobile phone if it has a modem inbuilt. Either use a cable or do it via bluetooth (another dongle to get though...).

I have a Nokia N95 and use a free programme call Joikuspot. It makes my N95 into a wifi hub, your computer see the phone as a Wifi Hotspot. Using the free version you cant get onto Https secure sites, but thats no real biggy, unless you really want to buy stuff online, or check your bank. Joikuspot works on a number of phones.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ive always had good service with 02. Got myself an Iphone with unlimited data I think it can be used with a laptop as a modem so would be ideal for you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
all networks have good and bad patches. Check out the 3g coverage maps published by Ofcom recently. 3g is what you need for broadband but even then you're looking at around 1 meg if you have a good signal. 3 actually has about the best spread of coverage. T mobile's fine where I live but then in Northern Ireland recently I found out they don't have any 3g network cover.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Figure out where you're likely to use it and then compare with the 3g charts on the Ofcom web site is about the best you can do really.

Hope this helps

:ILU:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like Alba says - check the 3G coverage for whatever network you choose. Using 2G (GPRS) is just painful if you want to do any meaningful web stuff.

Another thing - once you get away from the main towns / cities / motorways you may find that 3G coverage is patchy at best, or non existant, especially on the more remote campsites and camping areas.

Good 2G coverage does not neccessarily mean good 3G coverage

:)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Like Alba says - check the 3G coverage for whatever network you choose. Using 2G (GPRS) is just painful if you want to do any meaningful web stuff.

Another thing - once you get away from the main towns / cities / motorways you may find that 3G coverage is patchy at best, or non existant, especially on the more remote campsites and camping areas.

Good 2G coverage does not neccessarily mean good 3G coverage

and in Oban I suspect you are well qualified to say just how poor 3G coverage can be. You don't have to be too remote to lose 3G! they never tell you this stuff in the shop or on ther web sites though
:(

·
Registered
198 Posts
and in Oban I suspect you are well qualified to say just how poor 3G coverage can be. You don't have to be too remote to lose 3G! they never tell you this stuff in the shop or on ther web sites though
Too true :(......If I had a pound for everyone who said to me "There's no 3G here......"

There is a link to all network coverage maps via Ofcom here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/mobsignal

As per, you need to look at the user contract cos I think that some networks will charge a small fortune for exceeding any download limits on your account..

PC Pro did a feature on mobile broadband earlier this year:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/247058/broadband-fixed-vs-mobile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts