VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
How many miles has the van done? Reason for asking is that fully synthetic oil is wasted if its done excessive miles. I think the book states 5W 30 but it must be approved for PD engines otherwise you will get premature cam wear.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
How many miles has the van done? Reason for asking is that fully synthetic oil is wasted if its done excessive miles. I think the book states 5W 30 but it must be approved for PD engines otherwise you will get premature cam wear.
Does it still have to be approved if the oil is being changed every 6000 miles? I don't believe in the long life oil changes so change mine every 6000 miles

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
Does it still have to be approved if the oil is being changed every 6000 miles? I don't believe in the long life oil changes so change mine every 6000 miles
I would always go approved becasue of the carbon retention properties and anti foaming agents in the oil. I wouldn't buy VW Syntec if i was doing it that often or at all for that matter. I'm no expert on PD's by any stretch but i personally would look for a cheaper alternative that meets the spec for PD engines and VW alike. In my 1.9tdi T4 conversion i use Carplan triple R semi synthetic which meets the standard for that model of engine and i dare say they probably do a PD equivalent. IMHO its very good stuff and the engine runs better since i starterd using it T:T:T:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone? - how do I know if it's PD approved oil (what does that stand for?) - I have bought some standard Turbo Diesel oil but been warned against using it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
PD stands for Pump Deuse or something like that, it's just what the engines are called (like Ford Zetec). As for oil I went for the VW long life stuff as I can get it for £7 a litre which considering it doesn't need changing for 20000 miles works out not too bad.
I always thought that if you use normal oil it was fine along as you changed it every 6000 miles/6 months approx but not too sure now as I've read that it should be PD specific oil. I'm pretty sure you can get normal PD oil quite easily, best ask you local motor factors or if you are very nice PM Dazboi he runs a main dealer and is always really helpful

Jay

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
It seems synthetic 5w 30 oil is what is needed for the vw PD engine something like Castrol Edge or similar with a rating of 505.01(PD). You should be able to get THIS STUFF from Euro Car Parts for a reasonable price and fully meets the spec T:T:T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.