VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a T4 autosleeper trident.
I've fitted Audi A3 s line alloys, currently on 225 40 18 tyres. The profile looks a little too extreme, and unpractical for a commercial. what's the max profile I can go up to without any issues? I was hoping maybe 50 or 60 profile, or is there any higher than that?

I am also lowering it 40mm and obviously don't want any clearance issues. What would be the most practical tyre size to use on these wheels with a 40mm drop. Also are XL tyres a better choice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, the 40's are a bit harsh. Was hoping to go up to 50's if poss, also less chance of kerbing them. Just don't want to spoil the look by going too high on the profile.

I was thinking 60's may be a bit high ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your van lowered? Do you gave any rubbing etc on full lock?
If I go up to 245 on the width, would that be a bit more protection against kerbing?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep I think you would run into clearence issues with 60 profiles. If you go with a wider tyre then you can use a lower profile and still have the same overall radius.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lowered 55mm with et 45 VW Monza replicas and no rubbing or clearance problems. The 245 45`s give plenty of protection as the lanes in North Wales can be pretty rough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are et54 apparently.

So if I go up from 225 to 245 on the width, will that also increase on the radius?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link, that explains it all.

I think it looks like 245 45 18 is the best choice. Just need to see if they rub on full lock. They are et54.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I run 235/45/18 accelera tyres - ride is excellent, quiet and I am lowered. tyres still look good visually but provide comfort too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have just got a set of these (rear wheel) S3 alloys, 18 x 8J.

Currently running 19s, 245 x 40 which gives a sidewall height approx 98mm and is a bit harsh for my every day use.

245/45 would give a sidewall height approx 110mm.

235/50 would give a sidewall height approx 118mm.

I think I am going to go for the latter. Same size as the front of my BMW X3 which also happen to need replaced. 8 tyres... >£1000... ouch!

Camskill take some beating for online mail order... £140 for BMW * spec Dunlop 01 SP.

·
aka jonnymb74
298 Posts
I run 235/45/18 accelera tyres - ride is excellent, quiet and I am lowered. tyres still look good visually but provide comfort too.
This is the same size of tyre I'm thinking of getting. Also thinking of lowering my van 50mm.
Was curious as to the height of your van and whether there's any clearance/rubbing issues?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When I was lowered and on 18" Audi RS6 wheels, I had these. At first I had 245/45/ but they would rub on the front and the ET of the wheel meant they would hit the rear arches a bit...swapped to 235/45 and it was spot on A:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Correct rolling radius would be 245/40/18 compared to the standard wheel and tyre.
This is what I have on mine and its a bit bumpy but am planning on renewing the shocks as I think 99,000 miles is plenty for the original shocks and as its lowered 50ish mm they are working pretty hard now.
If the ride does not improve im thinking of going down to 17s for comfort but its going to be hard to part with my Gloss black RS6 18s!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts