VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all recently purchased a 07 caravelle and all is brilliant but one thing is bugging me,

when the engine is switched off there is something that seems to be working under the van not sure how long it runs for but I am sure I saw smoke coming from a pipe which looks a bit like a small exhaust pipe sort of in line with the front doors any clues on what this could be, I have looked through the owners manual and did not find anything..

hope someone can shed some light on this for me

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked and i have no stickers saying anything other than tyre pressures, does sound a bit like a turbine sound does it just run at certain times or is there controls for this.

is an aux heater something different to a night heater??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so it is just there to help warm the vehicle quicker when the outside temperature is low?

does this use extra fuel is that what i saw smoking a bit
sorry if I sound a bit daft but never seen this before

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It's an Eberspacher heater which burns diesel to heat the coolant water quicker. some T4's have them too.

There is a temperature probe located behind the bumper which I overrode in my T4 and now I have an illuminated switch on the dash.

BTW I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what sort of mpg should I expect from my t5 caravelle it is the 174bhp version, just wondering as we do travel to france now and again we used to have a ford galaxy which would do nearly 50mpg on a good run??

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
what sort of mpg should I expect from my t5 caravelle it is the 174bhp version, just wondering as we do travel to france now and again we used to have a ford galaxy which would do nearly 50mpg on a good run??
30 I would say typically

Look under the van on the passenger side and you should see the coolant heater exhaust sticking down.gave me a turn the first time I saw that smoke......
Your galaxy probably had the same set up.
It heats all the coolant not just the rear

·
Registered
938 Posts
I did an 1800 mile round trip for some skiing at Chrimbo through France, fully loaded and at 85mph on cruise. Did 31.8. BTW tis a 2.5 174 Caravelle decatted.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's an Eberspacher heater which burns diesel to heat the coolant water quicker. some T4's have them too.

There is a temperature probe located behind the bumper which I overrode in my T4 and now I have an illuminated switch on the dash.

BTW I'm not an expert.
Webasto on T5 factory fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
30mpg is a bit disapointing i was under the impression on a decent run especially cruising to france and back you would probably get nearer 40mpg.
I know its heavy but my ford transit does more mpg than my t5

·
Registered
266 Posts
30mpg is a bit disapointing i was under the impression on a decent run especially cruising to france and back you would probably get nearer 40mpg.
I know its heavy but my ford transit does more mpg than my t5
Yes, but it's a Transit... I: New ones are nice tho!

·
Registered
938 Posts
5 cylinder and 174 horses two lots of aircon ain't never gonna get you any green awards......and the thing tips the scales at well over two tons ....three loaded with people.
Just what i was going to say, never gonna get 40. If I'd set the cruise to 55 and not 85 it may have made a few mpg difference. I:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts