VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just a quickie, what size spanner do I need on the torsion nuts? As it's 12pm and I plan to lower my front to match the vans lowered rear... I hope to do it in my lunch break tomorrow at work :/ i start work at 6 so it's gonna be dark then :/ anyone help me out??

Cheers guys!

P.s I will Take a cad of wd40 and some screwloose or something similar...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot guys! i didnt manage to do it today as it was raining heavy :/ but thankyou soo much for your help... at least i gave them a good soaking with wd40... might help a bit... :)

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Don't forget the axle stands
Not wanting to start a debate but..... I: I've lowered a few vans in my time and never used stands :* also its been done safely T: Imo taking all the weight off the front makes it easier for them to pop out. just my opinion.

·
Registered
405 Posts
when i did mine i used stands but still had the wheels on the ground (if you know what i mean) as the nut got lower down the threads i could see the top of the bolt moving in its slot as the tension was released. unless you got an inspection pit or a 4 poster ramp you'll probably need to jack it up anyway to get underneath. safety first for me. i'd rather it take a bit longer than have a fuel tank stuck in my head.
You probably can do it with the weight of the van on the bolt which will keep tension on it but probably best not to be laid under it at the time just in case. if it feels stiffer than you think it should theres a possibility of you dislodging the mounting. i was surprised that its only resting in the groove, not fastened in at all. seemed a bit of a poor design from ze Germans who are renowned for over engineering things!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts