VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peoples, i'm in the market for my first T5, I want a LWB panel but I'm stuck on what size engine to go for, I know to 130+ has the umpth but does it cost more to run, it also has the chain cam belt. Or would it be wise to go for 104 and get it chipped.
Cheers for the advice Andy J:*

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
1.9TDi - Cam Belt driven, 2.5TDi Direct chain driven.

130 normally the 2.5TDi and your 102/104 is normally 1.9TDi. 1.9TDi will normally remap up to 130 ish.

1.9TDi should sip fuel compared to 2.5TDi, but it all deepened how heavy your shoes are of course.

I have a 102 1.9TDi and it goes fine. Of course, the 84 is exactly the same engine, so if you are going to remap a 1.9TDi up to 130, you may as well go for a 84 as much as a 102.

Good luck with your search. Finding one is the hardest bit!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I love my 2.5tdi and as rare as I get to hear it (I drive it like a nun) I wouldn't change the amazing noise it makes between 2-3000rpm for anything! 5pot diesel yes please ... :D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ive got a 2.5 130 and doing small trips (10-15 mins) it manages 27mpg but on longer trips ive had it up to 40mpg, all down to how there driven, the 6speed box also helps i think. Generally though its nice to have the extra power of the 2.5 also but as said before you can always chip the smaller ones up. Alternativly you could always buy a sportline haha :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
This is my first post on here, but thought it may help so here goes. I was in a similar position in September & bought my first T5. It's the 2.5 174 SWB Kombi, 2007 with 65k on the clock. Had a remap after I got it, reset the trip computer and drove it from Gloucester to Cardiff like a vicar on the motorway. It gave me 40.3 mpg. Plodding around, when it hardly gets warmed up I'm getting around 29, so that's approx. the 'range' depending on where and how you're driving (there are always so many variable when it comes to mpg). Oh yes, and if you forget all that for a while and want to put your foot down, it goes like the clappers :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts