VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Looking at buying a 1.9TDI T5, 166k miles on the clock

What do I need to check? How many miles do they do before I start getting a few troubles?

Any info is welcome. I dont want a van thats gonna be unreliable as its for work...

·
Banned
293 Posts
Guys

Looking at buying a 1.9TDI T5, 166k miles on the clock

What do I need to check?
How many miles do they do before I start getting a few troubles?

Any info is welcome. I dont want a van thats gonna be unreliable as its for work...
Autotrader or Ebay for a different van.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
FSH ideally. Water pumps can go, so make sure it's had it done with Cambelt which are done every 60k. I sold a T4 with 186k and it drove like a dream. Don't be scared of mileage but make sure you pay a price that reflects it.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
I'm seeing more and more of my customers going past the 200,000 mile mark

Quite a few of them we've found out haven't even had clutches and flywheels yet! :eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FSH ideally. Water pumps can go, so make sure it's had it done with Cambelt which are done every 60k. I sold a T4 with 186k and it drove like a dream. Don't be scared of mileage but make sure you pay a price that reflects it.
I know the t4 is bulletproof in 1.9 form, I have one myself. Its bloody tough as hell.

The T5 is a different engine though and I just wondered if there are problems at certain mileage? Its been chipped too so that concerns me......

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
wouldnt extertain anything with that mileage yes you can be lucky but personally would find something with lower miles

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My T5 has 115k and just had to change the water pump but had Cambelt to do in 5k anyway so did both now, apart from that she's good. Check the turbo seals etc if you're worried about the Remap.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've got double that mileage! well, 316,000 on a 1.9 T5. Mines got full history and has never had any major work. Dont be scared of miles at all.... buy on spec, condition and history! T:T:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything with more than 60k on, even if it had been wrapped in cotton wool and breast fed diesel.
Each to there own... If you got any mechanical knowledge then theres no issue with mileage! There's loads of low mileage vans on here with problems! These vans and all motors like to be used! I do lots of miles and also have a focus with 230,000. A:

·
Registered
204 Posts
ive personally had a few vans... my current i bought with 55k... my previous with over 200k

i believe that if the van has low mileage with full service history then check it! If there have been lots of warranty things then steer clear...some vans are just bad news....

Otherwise, if at 165k the van is in good nick, drives well and is well priced then it's probably a good'en...

still get an AA check done or something so you can haggle with facts.... but if they drive well at that then i've never had any problems...

Though only speaking about the 1.9's here....

Once bought a 2.4 AAB T4.... never ever again!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Young vans that are under warranty can get lots of stuff replaced because the dealers do replace things very quickly under warranty. But that's no bad thing!

At higher mileage its a different ball game.
T5, check drive shafts, and nice gear changes (do lots and lots of them).
Clutch is not a cheap replacement and you really have to do the DMF at the same time.

I would say don't overpay for a high mileage van, but I'm not sure what that means.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 04 is showing 169,000 miles now.... last year the cambelt tensioner went - £3000 engine rebuild. Last MOT £750 - Two calipers, Ball joints, 2 x tyres.... plus a few other bits.

I bought it with 130, 000 miles from a polish builder with not alot of history... and it looks like it. And I love it. :ILU:

·
Registered
94 Posts
If i had a choice either go for one with ultra high mileage or one with ultra low mileage both with a good history reason being you start to see problems between 70-130k after this it seems most things would of been replaced but no matter what the mileage is you get good ones you get bad ones ive had new Touaregs and newish T5s Both had major probs but i have a couple of ultra high mileage T5s 200k + and no problems so its your choice really but personaly i wouldnt worry about the mileage just make sure it seems all good give it a good drive and if you have access to a Can bus scanner plug it in and see what secrets are reveled only £30 on ebay worth every penny

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything with more than 60k on, even if it had been wrapped in cotton wool and breast fed diesel.
Nice, maybe the budget wont permit that? Mileage isnt the be all and end all :ILU:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts