VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what tools spares you kept in the van?

I thought a set of screw drivers, socket set, spanner roll and various tapes and ty-wraps for starters.

What do you keep in you T4 just in case?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would say that maintenance & servicing should be done at home. If you look after your van & keep it to a good standard, then only on a round Europe / World trip should you need anything more than bulbs, oil & spare wheel.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
Salut, LeBranleur ! :D

MUST HAVE ITEM ............. locking wheel nut adaptor ! been caught out before ! I:

I stupidly left it in a 'safe place' in my workshop ! :(

I wouldn't necessarily say a '12 volt tyre inflater' is a MUST HAVE item on board ........ but it's always a good idea to carry one T:

TURK

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Agree with skippy ... But ...Apart from spanners , a breaker bar , I aso have fuses , including glo-plug/ rad fans , a lenghth of bleed-off tubing , blank plug , and a few other handy bits/bobs ... you never know when you can be a good samaritan ..!! little space , but gives me confidence ....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Yeah ...!! always a 12v compressor , as well ... Got used to carrying lots of bits , cos had a boat on the coast , so needed to be ready for the unexpected ..!!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Just a wheelbrace, some sockets and because I use screwdrivers/drill/and other tools pretty much most things actually:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jump leads, and a long breaker bar with 17 & 19mm sockets. Never had to use it on the van in earnest, but I have 'rescued' a couple of motorists who had got as far as getting the jack and spare wheel out of the boot then become stuck because they couldn't shift their wheelnuts with the supplied toolkit wrench.

In the winter months I always carry a good towrope and one of those rechargeable LED floodlights, and have been glad of both at times.

I suppose you get to know your van's weaknesses. Mine had a dicky battery for a while before I got round to changing it, so the jump leads were used more than once.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Standard small toolbag for mechanical and diy stuff, bottle jack because the suicide jack cant be trusted, wheel wedges, breaker bar with 17 and 19 sockets, everything a courier van requires from load straps to removal blankets, basic cleaning stuff for the van, spare work clothes, anything required for access to industrial or construction sites, hivis, hivis jacket etc, fuses, bulbs, basic electrical stuff basic IT stuff, jump leads capable of even handling truck batteries, and other things.

Fills 2 large plastic totes and the cavity under the double passenger seat.

For the toolbag, one of these will cover any small roadside job, and indeed any basic job on a vehicle :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TOOL...305983?hash=item5418eafbff:g:wA0AAOSwmrlUwlPK

IF you have the cash this is better :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITOOL-E...256888?hash=item210534a4b8:g:O8kAAOSwzrxUyYh8

Only thing odd is it lacks a 15mm socket.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Torque Wrench and socket set inc. alloy wheel nuts
Breathalyser (Law in France)
2 x High Vis
Box of various tools with Torx bits etc
Bottle and scissor jacks
Block of wood in case of soft ground for above
Cable ties, replacement lamps and fuses
Torch
Tyre inflator, jump leads, tyre weld and WD40
Waterproof jacket

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
And the list goes on .....!! Reckon we all carry bits / bobs in addition to basic tools , according to previous expieriences , and it tends to grow , with no.of years ownership ..!! overalls , as well ..!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
winter tyre grip spray,K seal,spare bulb kit. 1ltr of mixed coolant. 1ltr of oil and most important my ADAC membership card

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No one has mentioned yet, a workshop manual. I take my laptop [that has one installed] when we go on holiday. Haven't had to use it but nice to know it's there.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I,ve got ...get -out -of trouble bits , everywhere .. !! luckily , door pockets , glove pockets , and a collapsible plastic crate store most of it ..!! Simply a case of maintenance bits that have got thrown into the crate over the years ..!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
we're paranoid - spare shaver, spare AA battery charger, spare usb charger leads, crockery, camera, torches, var poly bags etc etc. never needed many of them but try leaving them out & sod's law will apply.
var wire's handy for lots of things, & we carry more walking gear than Millets
most acquired over the years, just in case, like tyre tracks for mud/snow
in winter even more stuff goes in

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, grips, adjustable spanner, spline bits, cable ties, duck tape, 12v plug in work light, multimeter, trolley jack, complete set of bulbs & fuses, spare switches & a length of 4mm cable. Think that's it

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tend to carry a few sturdy zip ties round and some strong duct tape, found this tape works best to keep them muffled. I suppose you could go for some other form of restraint to stop them kicking round as there is more space than needed in the back..........or have I missed the point here :D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I tend to carry a few sturdy zip ties round and some strong duct tape, found this tape works best to keep them muffled. I suppose you could go for some other form of restraint to stop them kicking round as there is more space than needed in the back..........or have I missed the point here :D
Did you buy Jimmy Saville's old T5 California?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts