VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

what tyres for 17" alloys

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  cheeseydub 
#1 ·
Having just purchased my first mod, MK 5 golf monza alloys, i am in need of some experienced advice. what size tyres to buy?
the guy i bought them off was running on 225-45-17 but he said the ride was lumpy, so, are 225-50-17 any better? perhaps 225-55-17 but are these too big or ugly? I also plan to lower the van in the not too distant future.

Cheers
cheese

#2 ·
Tyre Shopper are doing 225-50-17 and 225-55-17 extra load Barum tyres for around £350 a set
are these any good?
Does anybody have an opinion on which size to go for considering i am lowering the van soon????? don't want to spend out to find they might rub!!!!!!

#7 ·
just fitted 225/55/17,s tonight rides luuuurvly i,ll make a decision on how they look tommorow when van all clean and polished,not sure look a bit like floatation tyres.speedo sits bang on according to gps,certainly an improvement comfort wise on the 225/45/17,s i had before

#9 ·
I use 225/50/17 98XL Barum Bravuris 2's on my (heavy) Westfalia California Freestyle. They give correct speedo correlation and dont affect the gearing. Been using them for 2 years and they give good mileage, reasonable road noise and are relatively cheap from Tyre Shopper. A word of caution about 225/55/17! I have the trip computer on my van that calculates MPG. when I had a set of 225/55/17's on, the fuel economy was noticeably worse due to the lower gearing effect.

#12 ·
After trying them all I would recommend the 50'S, as Colese said. This is what i found The 45's were fun to drive :D with as the acceleration is a little better but the ride is very lumpy & the clock is way off. :( the 55's give a good ride but take the fun out of driving & if you are going to lower you're van any more than 50mm, i think they will rub most of the time. 50mm is ok so long as you don't load the van at all. 50's are the best of the bunch IMHO as you get a fair ride & a bit of fun to boot.
If you want to try some 55'S I have some 225x55x17'S up for sale. I:I:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.