VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've just bought a 1996/7 (p reg) LWB transporter 2.4 Diesel panel van and would like to put some alloys on it.

I'm not that mechanically minded for a start but when i comes to wheel sizing i'm even more baffled. Can someone tell me what dimensions i should be looking for when buying wheels for my T4?

p.s. this is my first post so hello!

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Hello T:

To be on the safe side look for 5x112 pcd (straight fit) and offset between 45 and 35 and you shouldnt have any problems..
Basically most Audi, merc, and some vw alloys will fit but you need to make sure you check the pcd as some audi and vw are different... Also for merc alloys you may need to drill the bolt holes out to a larger size and you will need spigot rings... Another thing to remember is you may also need different bolts so they seat correctly :D Allot to think about but quite simple really.. If your unsure and find a set you like just post them up and someone will tell you T:

·
Registered
17 Posts
first r u buying new or secondhand if new the shop will tell you if not google stud pattens for vw t4 and it will tell you the sizes you need look on ebay or gumtree for wheels that fit most of the german make car wheels will fit

·
Registered
734 Posts
... as above and...
Consider the sort of ride you're after. The more air you have between the road and rim the more comfy the ride. I plumped for a 17 inch wheel with a 225/50 tyre. Smart enough for my needs, a plush ride, and was able to get a tyre load rated high enough to keep me happy.
Consider the ET. This defines where in the arch the wheel will sit. A lower ET will push the wheel out wider, a higher ET puts the wheel further inside the arch.
Consider your load ratings. Both the tyres and alloys will need to be up to the job.
Jeeze, there's a lot to it eh? :eek: Spend some time on the forum researching and it will pay off in the long run. Try some searches and browse the threads... Good luck bud... T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
As another newbie looking for new wheels and tyres - can I check what load and speed rating is needed please.

I have a swb campervan 2003 T4 which carries up to 5 people, gear and the weight of a pop up roof and usual interior fittings.

I prefer soft rides over hard rides so was going to go for a 16" wheel ideally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just got my t4 back from an MOT my first 6 months with it the previous owner changed the wheels and fitted 4 Audi incorrect sized and now it has Advisories front wheels rubbing on track rod ends on full lock you can guess where this ids going 4 new rims and tyres will be needed. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts