VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - advice please. I've got 18" Audi RS6 alloys on my T4, but want to buy another set of wheels that I can fit winter tyres to, only I'm not sure what size is best. Brakes are stock, it has been lowered but only about 60mm. If I replace with 18s will they catch the arches? Will it took rubbish if I go for 15s? Not sure what to do - am after a cheap, safe and not too bad looking solution. Cheers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I personally would stick a set of secondhand 15" steel wheels on with decent M+S or better still, winter tyres on.
Buy a cheap set of wheel trims for around £15 too if you want them to look nice.

I wouldn't want the risk of skidding into the kerb and cracking my expensive alloys or having my alloys caked with road salt.

Good Luck

·
Registered
799 Posts
yep, 15" steels give plenty of rubber. narrow tyres to cut through snow 195 70. usually loads of free rims on here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Steels baby!! I have 16" steels all year round, (not sure what they're off but they're VW wheels and T4 fitment) I think they look good as they're silver and in very good condition. If you knock them you can fix them with a hammer, no expensive alloy repairs like are often needed with the big alloys if you slide on the ice and hit a kerb or something!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I buy new rims every summer, so why not buy a set for winter as well? :p
I paid approx. 150 quid for these, so i wont cry if i kerb them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am also looking for some 16" rims for a 151 hp T4 for wintertyres.

Any good suggestions - steel or alu. Are there some Merc-wheels that fits on the 151 hp in ET?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yes Jens, U COULD use Merc 16" but htey are rare. U may have better luck sourcing 16" Steels from an Audi A6 or A8.

As U use INSANE amount os salt on the E39, I assume the rest of DK is the same:(:confused: I would opt for steels thb.
Look at ATU.de for affordable aftermarked alloys. Check what ET U need to clear those bigger brakes!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts