VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some inspiration...

Pics pls with dimensions if you know (wheel / tyre combo)

As sportline's lower than standard interested if anyone has problems with 20's too :)

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
we get bridgestone commercially rated tyres fitted, wheels 442+vat (new) tyres around the 620 mark pls vat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just removed my 18" Sportline alloys and replaced them with 19". Size was 235/50/18 and now it's on 255/55/19. The tyres rub a little on full lock, but otherwise everything fits ok. The van is a genuine Sportline with whatever the standard ride height for the Sportline is.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just removed my 18" Sportline alloys and replaced them with 19". Size was 235/50/18 and now it's on 255/55/19. The tyres rub a little on full lock, but otherwise everything fits ok. The van is a genuine Sportline with whatever the standard ride height for the Sportline is.

Hope it helps!

cheers oliver, so are they replicas of the standard 18's?

Looks like you've gone up in rim size and tyres so probably why the rubbing, 255 is pretty fat! got any pics? :)

:ILU:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll get some pics and post them up later. I've actually gone to 19" Range Rover Sport alloys that came with new tyres; hence the tyre size. The speedo reading is still good and although I thought they might catch the arch liners at the back when loaded or towing, they don't. They just catch the front on absolute full lock, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get some pics and post them up later. I've actually gone to 19" Range Rover Sport alloys that came with new tyres; hence the tyre size. The speedo reading is still good and although I thought they might catch the arch liners at the back when loaded or towing, they don't. They just catch the front on absolute full lock, but I can live with that.
nice one.. i have been looking at RR stormer wheels as i think they look great.... look forward to some pics if you can

·
Registered
875 Posts
Its not technically a Sportline (no combi available with double sliding doors), so I made my own inc lowering springs.

Was

But now on OEM Sportline rims and tyres. Edinburgh van centre are doing a deal and I bought a set.

The RR Stormer 275/40/20 I found were very very heavy, took longer to accellerate and stop, reduced my mpg and made the speedo bob on. But they did look good in mho.

Might try something else when I have worn my current tyres out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, here you go. Range Rover Sport 19" on a Sportline:

.....the front:

.....and the back:

Previous to these, the van had the CW 18" Sportline alloys on that were fitted by VW from new, (now on Ebay :D shameless plug). The van doesn't drive any differently, but I took the opportunity to get a bigger footprint on the tarmac seen as I do a lot of towing.

By the way, the tyres are 255/50 and not 255/55 as I'd posted earlier I:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not technically a Sportline (no combi available with double sliding doors), so I made my own inc lowering springs.

Was

But now on OEM Sportline rims and tyres. Edinburgh van centre are doing a deal and I bought a set.

The RR Stormer 275/40/20 I found were very very heavy, took longer to accellerate and stop, reduced my mpg and made the speedo bob on. But they did look good in mho.

Might try something else when I have worn my current tyres out...
I agree these look the mutts nutts... i think they are my favourites at the mo, but interesting that you found them so heavy & slowed thigns down... did you buy replicas or OEM?

·
Registered
875 Posts
They were reps. I clocked the weight difference as soon as I lifted one to put them in the back of the van. I just wished I had weighed them out of curiosity but I reckon it would have been in the region of 10's of kilos per wheel which is a lot extra to need turning and my remap is up to 213 bhp/440 torques. It just numbed the handling a lot and I only carry three mountain bikes or less most of the time.

The ride was fine, only rubbed on extreme rh lock (as do the OEM Sportline wheels). Fitting wise as well, the kit that came with the wheels had the RR to VW stud/nut conversion. When the RR wheels came off it was obvious that they were in the hub no more than two turns per stud!

If you do the same, fit the stud into the hub then mount the wheels and nuts. My error was to fit the nut and stud together. When I tightened it up, all that happened was the stud went into the nut, not the hub, if you follow my thinking.

The recommendation from VW is 5 turns into the hub which makes a lot of sense.

It did look very good though, but I wanted to enjoy the drive and had been spoilt on the previously lighter rim/tyre combo, which was:

Hope this helps and makes sense!

·
Registered
392 Posts
20" daddy cw sportlines running 255/35,s zero clearence probs just about to change the tyres to 275/35's wont have any probs with them either and they are considerbly bigger ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They were reps. I clocked the weight difference as soon as I lifted one to put them in the back of the van. I just wished I had weighed them out of curiosity but I reckon it would have been in the region of 10's of kilos per wheel which is a lot extra to need turning and my remap is up to 213 bhp/440 torques. It just numbed the handling a lot and I only carry three mountain bikes or less most of the time.

The ride was fine, only rubbed on extreme rh lock (as do the OEM Sportline wheels). Fitting wise as well, the kit that came with the wheels had the RR to VW stud/nut conversion. When the RR wheels came off it was obvious that they were in the hub no more than two turns per stud!

If you do the same, fit the stud into the hub then mount the wheels and nuts. My error was to fit the nut and stud together. When I tightened it up, all that happened was the stud went into the nut, not the hub, if you follow my thinking.

The recommendation from VW is 5 turns into the hub which makes a lot of sense.

It did look very good though, but I wanted to enjoy the drive and had been spoilt on the previously lighter rim/tyre combo, which was:

Hope this helps and makes sense!

cool thanks Rick, yeah all makes sense to me, thanks ... tricky decisions as the more i see the RR's i love them more! even the mrs likes them too & she's fussy :)

hummmmm better go browsing some aloowy wheel sites for more inspiration :)

:ILU:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts