VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Obviously I'm a newbie here, here's a fast track background. I bought spud my 98 reg converted t4 about a year ago. Always wanted one and finally bit the bullet. I separated from ex a few months ago and spud is mine so has come with me, ex wasn't bothered even when we went to South France last summer he didn't drive once! So I love my spud to bits as do the kids, BUT he has 200000 on the clock and a few dodgy noises going on, the interior is far from a good job and the clutch has pretty much gone, he has leaks and rattles and a few other issues, I've already spent a fortune on "let's see if this works" and it doesn't but I still have to pay up of course! So u would be thinking shall I sell...... No don't be daft I love my spud! But should I get a new engine dropped in or keep bettering on with getting clutch done and constant engine issues? He does have one thing going for him, from the outside he looks amazing, my spud turns heads, even more so when they see little me driving this beast! Will get a pic up soon!

So new engine or am I insane keeping my dream machine?

Miss sunshine xx

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum what engine is in spud at the moment as this will help in the keep it or bin it debate 200000 and fitting a clutch is not bad in my book its a wearable part so is always going to need replacing at some point.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sounds like spud has done you proud be a shame say bye sure there people on here that could guide you as to where and what is best to do, take your time and im sure he will be fine

·
Registered
487 Posts
Several places in Lancashire that can re-build the engine/gearbox - rip the old interior out and go and see Toby @ T4 Life.

Keep itT:

Rob

·
Registered
82 Posts
id keep it regardless of the engine its got, the average for a t4 seems to be 200k, just repair things as and when, even if you get a low mileage one theres no guaruntee it wont blow up as the engines been mistreated, i bought my van with 170k on but id have quite happily bought one with 300k on.

sam

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
How many miles a year do you do in it?

Don't spend money fixing it until it breaks! Make sure you have a decent roadside recovery policy and enjoy the open road.

Have it serviced by a knowledgeable garage who knows the typical bits that break, ie gear linkages etc

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have it until the engine die's then drop a tdi lump in there, this is what I'm doing, why spend money until you have to and at the end of the day it's an old van they leek and make noise's most of them do, how many transit's do you see driving about on a 98reg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is spud, I dont do loads of miles in hm becasue he isn't my everyday car (and the clutch has gone) but when I take him out, I REALLy take him out, when I went to france I drove through the night every other night till I reached spain. Just me spud and the open road! Well a few sleeping kids and some annoying tolls! So I'm a binge driver, but ive taken him off the road while I moved house and figure out what to do with him. The r and r bed is comfy, and the hob is ok, but other than that the iside is a proper diy bodge job by someone before me. I dont have endless money and his water is leaking, Ive already had a new heater matrix amongst other things and he still loses his water and overheats when sat in traffic. SIgh, I love my spud, but feel a bit in over my head here! Thats why Im here I guess!! For some lovely people who understand why I cant just sell him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts