VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following on from a thread i read by pearly whites who fitted a fridge to his van,but his fridge was too big and his rock n roll bed wouldnt fold out I:

which leads me to this,some of us have done more than one van and most of us have done it on a budget,so what have you done to your van that you would do differently next time ???

mines would be my r/n/r bed,i covered it in vinyl and while its easy to keep clean,its b:*y hot when you fancy a lie down on a summers day

·
Registered
769 Posts
My van came with 2 rear facing seats. Thought would put down some nice carpet and laid it cutting round the seats fixings.

Realised I really need forward facing seats now, but carpet needs replacing... :*!

Should have thought ahead! :(

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Not buy things on a whim before reaching a stage in my conversion where I could safely decide on the purchase!!!

Still - I sold everything off and made most of my money back but, and Im being philosophical here, other people got a good deal on what I sold and it helped them out so that makes me happy :)

Please note everyone: that is the way Im looking at it, please dont make me think about it in any more detail, or with any more decimal places LOL:

·
Registered
790 Posts
glued the floor tiles down properly, with all teh heat (and theyre black) theyre lifting up :(

And when carpetting the inside, id have waited until AFTER the roof was put on to save the farting about with bits, oh and i'd have used non ribbed carpet too :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well i spent many hours and pounds on my last van which I loved, and did pretty much everything to it.

My second and current van, I was going to keep things simple, only do what was value for money, however the first thing I wish I had done was change the cambelt straight away cos even with good history and receipts the f**ker still snapped and f**ked up the engine.

Im not bitter honest :( here's what i will do if I get it back.

lowered
clear indicators
body work and respray
clean and tidy interior, keep it straight forward and practical.
alloys

Thats about 1% of the work I did on the last one.

I look at my first van as a testing/learning ground for me, I wanted every mod and the van to be everything. I still want that for my next one, but realised that after spending 100+ hours doing jobs like carpeting the walls, and then a year later, re carpeting the walls, the statisfaction wears off very quickly.

I probably spent more time doing mods then actually enjoying the van for its intended purposes like camping and day trips.

T:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Opening window behind the drivers seat, window at the back by the sliding door, combined sink/hob instead of separates. That about it really:) Oh, darker flooring, mine shows the muck:D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I look at my first van as a testing/learning ground for me, I wanted every mod and the van to be everything. I still want that for my next one, but realised that after spending 100+ hours doing jobs like carpeting the walls, and then a year later, re carpeting the walls, the statisfaction wears off very quickly.

I probably spent more time doing mods then actually enjoying the van for its intended purposes like camping and day trips.

T:
Thats me right now. To a T!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pop top instead of hightop

And made at least one of the cupboards so it could open with the bed down so I could start breakfast before putting the bed away.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
And made at least one of the cupboards so it could open with the bed down so I could start breakfast before putting the bed away.
Im going to use the immortal line my mum always said when I was a teenage:

"where do you think you are? A hotel?"

LOL:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Not use foam to insulate the walls,
use plenty of contact adhesive to sticj the viynl lining to the walls,

planning on having the seats recovered n leather so will rip out current lining and re-do :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
wish id found one that wasnt white, wish i hadnt done the body kit, and wish my tints were darker and on non sliding windows.

Oh well you learn by your mistakes- so im very knowledgeable now- and ready for the next vanT:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd put my hand-brake on next time as an argument with a bolard can be a expensive mistake to make....:*

Keep on truckin.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Buy one that has been profesionally converted and save my self a lot of cut fingers and pain
not to say any thing about the money spent on bits and bobs that never get used or don't work as intended

Andy

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Just bought a new van so all the little niggles and lessons learnt from the last 3 conversions can be put into this one..

Yep cupboards that you can get into with bed down..more accesable 240 hook up..full width bed not 3/4...not buy bits on impulse and research some prices first..

its all a learning curve..T:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts