VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

what would you do different next time ???

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  crosser 
#1 ·
following on from a thread i read by pearly whites who fitted a fridge to his van,but his fridge was too big and his rock n roll bed wouldnt fold out I:

which leads me to this,some of us have done more than one van and most of us have done it on a budget,so what have you done to your van that you would do differently next time ???

mines would be my r/n/r bed,i covered it in vinyl and while its easy to keep clean,its b:*y hot when you fancy a lie down on a summers day

#2 ·
My van came with 2 rear facing seats. Thought would put down some nice carpet and laid it cutting round the seats fixings.

Realised I really need forward facing seats now, but carpet needs replacing... :*!

Should have thought ahead! :(

#3 ·
Not buy things on a whim before reaching a stage in my conversion where I could safely decide on the purchase!!!

Still - I sold everything off and made most of my money back but, and Im being philosophical here, other people got a good deal on what I sold and it helped them out so that makes me happy :)

Please note everyone: that is the way Im looking at it, please dont make me think about it in any more detail, or with any more decimal places LOL:

#5 ·
Well i spent many hours and pounds on my last van which I loved, and did pretty much everything to it.

My second and current van, I was going to keep things simple, only do what was value for money, however the first thing I wish I had done was change the cambelt straight away cos even with good history and receipts the f**ker still snapped and f**ked up the engine.

Im not bitter honest :( here's what i will do if I get it back.

lowered
clear indicators
body work and respray
clean and tidy interior, keep it straight forward and practical.
alloys

Thats about 1% of the work I did on the last one.

I look at my first van as a testing/learning ground for me, I wanted every mod and the van to be everything. I still want that for my next one, but realised that after spending 100+ hours doing jobs like carpeting the walls, and then a year later, re carpeting the walls, the statisfaction wears off very quickly.

I probably spent more time doing mods then actually enjoying the van for its intended purposes like camping and day trips.

T:

#7 ·
I look at my first van as a testing/learning ground for me, I wanted every mod and the van to be everything. I still want that for my next one, but realised that after spending 100+ hours doing jobs like carpeting the walls, and then a year later, re carpeting the walls, the statisfaction wears off very quickly.

I probably spent more time doing mods then actually enjoying the van for its intended purposes like camping and day trips.

T:
Thats me right now. To a T!

#6 ·
Opening window behind the drivers seat, window at the back by the sliding door, combined sink/hob instead of separates. That about it really:) Oh, darker flooring, mine shows the muck:D

#18 ·
Just bought a new van so all the little niggles and lessons learnt from the last 3 conversions can be put into this one..

Yep cupboards that you can get into with bed down..more accesable 240 hook up..full width bed not 3/4...not buy bits on impulse and research some prices first..

its all a learning curve..T:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.