VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all T4 people.
Been looking into getting a T4 for a while and an opportunity has recently come my way. I'm on a budget of ideally under 6k and i'm looking to get a lot of bang for my buck. I've come across an ad on marketplace for a 2002 2.5tdi with 91.5k on the clock. From what i gather the key is to do the background checks and find out how well it's been looked after. There is literally no service history and after going on the gov.co.uk MOT checker and there is also no MOT history. The owner has explained that the van had come over from Guernsey with him and he has just registered it over here. Its has just passed its MOT and there is no rust. I haven't seen it or driven it yet but will be doing so this weekend. I am thinking that it's all a bit too risky as I can't afford to buy a money pit, but at the same time it sounds really good.
WHAT IS THE ANSWER PLEASE?
CHEERS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go and see it for yourself, take someone with you if you can. If it's spent it's whole life in guernsey it can't have been drive very hard, Wikipedia says the speed limit is 35mph. Not sure if that's good for a turbo diesel or not though?!

Ultimately it's always a bit of a risk. It's nearly 20 years old. If you get a good feeling about the bus and the seller then go for it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I don't know. Did the current owner have any work done in guernsey? Could you contact that garage a see if they remember it?

Why has he shipped it over here just to sell it straight away?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah I don't know. Did the current owner have any work done in guernsey? Could you contact that garage a see if they remember it?

Why has he shipped it over here just to sell it straight away?
Apparently he moved here just before lockdown and hasn't got the space for it would be better off with the money.

Here's its listing

Seller's description
2002 VW Transporter T4 888 2.5TDI ~ 91,500 miles ~ Leisure battery with split charge system, 16amp camping plug in, Fridge, Additional sound system & head unit (usb), Full length single or double bed, Swivel chairs, Double seat for either front or back, Full Fiamma awning with sides and front, Tailgate awning, Alloy wheels, Tow bar with electrics,
Full stainless steel exhaust, Electric window conversion, Central locking conversion, Khyam dome tent, Fiamma 2 bike rack, Television, usb reader, Levelling wheel chocks This is a great van, one of the most reliable and sought after vans of its time. It comes with everything you need for a short trip but has enough space for personalising if wanting a little project that you’ll struggle to go wrong with. 1000’s of £s of extras and really low mileage. As you have probably seen from the other ads these vans are good for 250k+ so needless to say this van has got heaps of life in it. 2 new tires and 11 months MOT

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,926 Posts
black passanger door-sill = welding, so it's not a rust-free van....

any other rot?

Rich.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get underneath and have a good poke around the sills & arches. Look for any signs of 'cover ups'; lagged in underseal etc. If the owner doesn't mind I'd also have a look under the front plastic steps (both sides) and under the sliding door plastic step.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
black passanger door-sill = welding, so it's not a rust-free van....

any other rot?

Rich.
Not sure yet have to have a poke around at the weekend but the welding on the sill is recent as he sent me copy of receipt for work done in order to sell. as far as i can tell having a look underneath, at wheel arches and sills are the main places to look, im expecting there to be some rust but at what point do you think it should give me real concern?
cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(y)
Thanks again for everyone who gave me feedback, as a not very knowledgable person when it comes to cars and vans and the like it's much appreciated.
The search for more info is starting to throw up a bit more info. I spoke to my mate Dave who's from Jersey to find out if they have MOT's etc on the channel islands and he said that they have nothing like that and that you can run a vehicle into the ground if you want as long as no one notices. He also said to expect lower mileage as the islands aren't big and also its probably never gone past 4th gear. This makes me feel a bit more assured about the mileage being genuine but not sure how not being driven hard is going to effect things for better or worse. The seller also sent over copy of MOT and receipt for work done. Also tracked down previous owner on facebook and his profile pic is of him doing some welding so hoping he's the sort of person that knows to maintain van well. I've got in contact with all the garages on Guernsey to try and get some info on work done on it waiting on replies. I'll attach some photo's of recent paperwork. Let me know what you think as its all pretty new to me.
Thanks again

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,926 Posts
Not sure yet have to have a poke around at the weekend but the welding on the sill is recent as he sent me copy of receipt for work done in order to sell. as far as i can tell having a look underneath, at wheel arches and sills are the main places to look, im expecting there to be some rust but at what point do you think it should give me real concern?
cheers

t4's rust.

evrywhere...

look on ebay or Brickworks / jk and see the available panels for ideas :unsure:

also, theres a few areas that no non-vw panels are available for.

doorsteps, side-door step & lower runner track are good examples.

just have a good look and dont buy the first van you see unless it's definately the right one.

what sort of money is this?

Rich.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
t4's rust.

evrywhere...

look on ebay or Brickworks / jk and see the available panels for ideas :unsure:

also, theres a few areas that no non-vw panels are available for.

doorsteps, side-door step & lower runner track are good examples.

just have ageed look and dont buy the first van you see unless it's definately the right one.

what sort of money is t

th
Cheers Rich. It’s on for 6.5 but seller is prepared to drop price as there’s no history. Definitely entering this whole process with a lot of caution as it seems to be a bit of a mine field out there, and also not sure if I can handle the level of ongoing work required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts